Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

GPU monitoring API

VASILY_V_
Beginner

Hello,

I have installed Media SDK and successfully run samples and also FFmpeg with hardware support of Intel Quick Sync technology.

Now I want to estimate the performance of my solution and I need to get load metrics from GPU.

The only tool I've found is /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/metrics_monitor/_bin/metrics_monitor  but it has strange format and also not perfectly suit my needs.

So I want to know is there any API which I can use in my own program which provide me an interface to GPU metrics?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Vasily, 

Metrics monitor is an API. Check include/cttmetrics.h  which has the API definition & sample/cttmetrics_sample  is the prebuild sample application and tells the GPU usage. You can find more details regarding Metrics Monitor in the manual. Also you might want to refer page 8 of the manual which describes the metrics API. Also if you are something in particular which is not a part of metrics monitor, do let us know. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

SURBHI M. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Vasily, 

Metrics monitor is an API. Check include/cttmetrics.h  which has the API definition & sample/cttmetrics_sample  is the prebuild sample application and tells the GPU usage. You can find more details regarding Metrics Monitor in the manual. Also you might want to refer page 8 of the manual which describes the metrics API. Also if you are something in particular which is not a part of metrics monitor, do let us know. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

Thank you very much! That what I was looking for.

But small question - in this manual I see that the values of average load in same tests on windows and linux are very differ: such that the same transcoding process on linux takes 98% of GPU and about 60-70% on windows machine. Are there real tests? So does it means that Windows provides much better results in Quick Sync performance that Linux? Why?

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Looks like Metrics Monitor is only for Linux servers...What about Windows version ?

And what is that new GPU Assist API ? I didn't find a manual or more info about that.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Vasily, 

I have attached the previous release manual. Please find the latest one attached. 
The difference between the values between the values collected for Linux & Windows is because of these reason - 

• Different approach to collect metrics(most imp)
  • Different OS
  • Different drivers

Check the note in the recent manual page - "The same hardware and media workloads were used to collect data on Windows and Linux. On Windows the sample tool was developed to replicate functionality of the Metrics Monitor using Intel® Metrics Framework and MediaPerfPublisher extension, which are part of Intel® Platform Analysis Library (https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-platform-analysis-library). The approaches used to collect metrics on Windows and Linux are different."

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos, 

Metrics monitor is available for Linux servers and not for windows. You can use Platform analysis library which was used to do comparison with Metrics Monitor.- https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-platform-analysis-libraryhttps://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-platform-analysis-library

Are  you refering to HEVC GPU Assist APIs - HEVC GPU API provide access to hardware-accelerated functions which can be used  for H265 (HEVC) encoder. You can find more details about it in the manual -https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/ff/76/mediasdkhevcgaa-man.pdf  

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

SURBHI M. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Vasily, 

I have attached the previous release manual. Please find the latest one attached. 
The difference between the values between the values collected for Linux & Windows is because of these reason - 

• Different approach to collect metrics(most imp)
  • Different OS
  • Different drivers

Thank you.

But if we consider the following experiment: let's take the same, for example, 1 minute video file and a stop watch - where transcoding will be faster: on linux ("gold" configuration CentOS) or windows?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

I wish it was that simple to compare the two OS result. It's hard to generalize which one is faster, again will depends upon various factors - driver, GPU freq set, CPU/GPU utilization and also 1 minute video is a short test to compare. Also, it is best to use multiple input streams to stress the system enough.  
Personally, I have not seen huge difference btw Linux & windows OS transcode fps but you might want to do quick experiments to check results with your application. If you use our samples to test then on Linux then it will show better results when not attached to display as a server use case. 

Thanks, 
Surbhi

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

SURBHI M. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Vasily, 

Hi, Surbhi,

In latest Intel Media Server SDK the metrics_monitor package use not latest API. Where can I find the most recent library which provide me API described in latest document that you've send?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Vasily, 

Can you please confirm which Media Server Studio edition & release do you have ? 

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

Hi, SURBHI!

Thank you for your response.

In new version R5 that has been out and I found new monitoring tools and API! Thanks

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Great, let us know if you need any support for Media Server Studio. 

-Surbhi

0 Kudos