Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Getting QuickSync in Celeron N2830 to Work

Daniel_B_13
Beginner

Hi,

I recently acquired a Intel NUC DN2820FYKH with the Celeron N2830 CPU which according to Intel ARK has QuickSync.

Also, according to Wikipedia, the included GPU, a 7th gen Intel ValleyView(Bay Trail) HD Graphics of code 0F31 has support to both QuickSync and OpenCL. 

I'm trying to install and run Intel's Media Server Studio Essentials 2016 on it, using the gold OS, CentOS 7.1.1503.

But, after many trials I only get the following info:

libva info: VA-API version 0.99.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva error: /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
vaInitialize failed with error code 1 (operation failed),exit
Unrecognized device ID 0F31

In some trials in Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS the command vainfo return correct information, but I can not run the samples. Also, If I install all Intel drivers and libs from Media SDK I end up with the same message of Unrecognized device ID 0F31.

Maybe there is a bug in the drivers and this device ID was not put in the white list or some sort of other problem?

Can some one explain if the N2830 is really capable of using Intel Quick Sync? Is there anything else I need to do in order to get the QuickSync Working or any one could recommend a combination of Media SDK and OS that would make this work?

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel, 

From the output of vainfo, we can see your platform is not supported by Intel Media Server Studio.

You can refer to "System Requirements" in Release note Linux* to get more more information for use Intel Media Server Studio. 

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
max_m_4
Beginner

This Celerons have Quicksync enabled.
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014030202_Intel_releases_Pentium_3530_Celeron_N2930_and_N2830.html

When come a update that support Celerons?

0 Kudos
Daniel_B_13
Beginner

Jiandong Z. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Daniel, 

From the output of vainfo, we can see your platform is not supported by Intel Media Server Studio.

You can refer to "System Requirements" in Release note Linux* to get more more information for use Intel Media Server Studio. 

Thanks,

Zachary

So why Intel documentations say that the chip has support? This is what most puzzles me.

Is there any other way to make use of QuickSync capabilities instead of using Intel Media Server Studio pre-build libraries?

From a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, applying Intel patchs on Kernel 4.4 and without Intel Media Server Studio libs I get the following:

daniel@tvheadend:~$ vainfo
error: can't connect to X server!
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.3
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.2)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Bay Trail - 1.7.2
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Liu__Chao
Beginner

The same thing confuses me too. Intel claims a lot of CPU to have quick sync. However, media SDK only supports some of them.

Even worse, new releases stop supporting CPUs that were supported by early versions! Combined with the facts that it's so difficult to use and there are quite a few critical bugs, I doubt Intel is taking this seriously. We have spent several months trying to use QSV in our product, so far I would say it's not ready for production usage yet.

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

You can try intel open source solution (https://01.org/linuxgraphics) for your CPU, and it look like it already worked for you. i965_drv_video.so is the UMD of intel open source solution.

For intel media server studio, it is not open source and iHD is it's UMD, it usually support n and n -1 platform, Intel Media Serve Studio 2017 support SKL and BDW.

You can base your cpu to select different solution.

If you use window, you can also select Intel® Media SDK "https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-sdk"

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Daniel_B_13
Beginner

Hi Jiandong.

I did not understand the second phrase. Can you explain a little better?

With the open source driver the access to Quick Sync Video is done through VAAPI or they are completely different things?

Also, would a device based an Intel Core I5-5200U or Intel Core I3-5015U be compatible with Intel Media Server Studio 2017?

Thank you.

Jiandong Z. (Intel) wrote:

You can try intel open source solution (https://01.org/linuxgraphics) for your CPU, and it look like it already worked for you. i965_drv_video.so is the UMD of intel open source solution.

For intel media server studio, it is not open source and iHD is it's UMD, it usually support n and n -1 platform, Intel Media Serve Studio 2017 support SKL and BDW.

You can base your cpu to select different solution.

If you use window, you can also select Intel® Media SDK "https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-sdk"

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

BDW:  5th Generation Intel Core Processors

SKL:   6th Generation Intel Core Processors

And, you can find following in Release note Linux*.

5th Generation Intel® Core™

6th Generation Intel® Core™

Intel Core I5-5200U or Intel Core I3-5015U are 5th Generation Intel Processors with "Intel® HD Graphics 5500", more details info can be searched in http:://ark.intel.com, so they are supported by Intel Media Server Studio 2017.

For open source driver,  your can call VAAPI to access to Quick Sync Video,

For Intel Media Server Studio, you can call MSDK API, it will call VAAPI to access to Quick Sync Video.

0 Kudos
max_m_4
Beginner

@Jiandong Z, thx for the hint with the opensource driver. This works fine with my Celeron G3900

0 Kudos