Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Graphics Driver Installer doesn't update dispatcher registry keys for Media SDK

Bodo_Maass
Beginner

I just updated to the latest Intel Graphics Driver (Version 9.18.10.3165 from 07.05.2013) and found that my test program no longer worked (calling the Media SDK with hardware encoding on Windows 7 - 64bit with Intel HD 4000).

Upon investigation, I found that the dispatcher registry keys (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\MediaSDK\Dispatch) were still pointing to an old version of the media sdk.

Between the last few versions of the driver, on a 64 bit system, the location of the media sdk has moved from:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Media SDK
to
C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK

This applies to the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions of the dlls (libmfxhw32.dll / libmfxhw64.dll). They are now both located in C:\Program Files, while they used to be in C:\Program Files (x86).

Uninstalling the graphics driver completely through the control panel and reinstalling it does not update the registry keys, and updating the driver will not delete the old media sdk version. The only fix I found was to manually delete the dispatch registry keys and then reinstall the display driver. Otherwise, the dispatcher would not find the latest version of lbmfxhw__.dll, and still point to the older version.

Please, Intel Guys, this could create many support issues for end users of Media-SDK-enabled apps. Please fix the display driver installer so that it automatically updates the dispatch registry keys to point to the latest version. I cannot ask my end users to manually delete registry keys.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, this issue with the driver for Intel HD Graphics 2500/4000+ driver on 64-bit OS was discovered and is fixed in the next driver release that should be available very soon.  We are sorry for the inconvenience this release caused and appreciate your understanding.

Please continue to report any issues you see.

0 Kudos