Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

H.264 Decoder DirectShow Filter and MFX_IMPL

olivierp_eboo
Beginner
Hello,

As the title of my post suggests, I'm looking for some tips to check and possibly to change the implementation selected by the H264 DS filter.
I have read that it's possible if I use the Media SDK directly without Direct Show, for instance:
[bash]mfxSession session;
MFXInit(MFX_IMPL_AUTO, 0, &session);
mfxIMPL impl;
MFXQueryIMPL(session, &impl);
if (impl==MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE) printf(Software Implementation\n);
if (impl==MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE) printf(Hardware implementation\n);
MFXClose(session);[/bash]
Is there any interface to query wich implementation is used ?

Regards,

OP
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
There is no actual interface on DShow sample filter which methods can be called. But filters write a flag IsHWMfxLibin the Windows registry underHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intel\Media SDK Sample FiltersIsHWMfxLib. The flag is set to 1 if hw Media SDK library was used. Additionally there is a flagIsEncode(Decode)PartiallyAccelerated which is set to 1 if a software fallback code path was working inside hw library.

Hope this is sufficient for you.

Regards,
Nina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
There is no actual interface on DShow sample filter which methods can be called. But filters write a flag IsHWMfxLibin the Windows registry underHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intel\Media SDK Sample FiltersIsHWMfxLib. The flag is set to 1 if hw Media SDK library was used. Additionally there is a flagIsEncode(Decode)PartiallyAccelerated which is set to 1 if a software fallback code path was working inside hw library.

Hope this is sufficient for you.

Regards,
Nina
0 Kudos
olivierp_eboo
Beginner
Thanks Nina.

I have found the registry key and it is indeed set to FALSE (so I have no doubt about why the decoding performances were low).

I have post another thread about where is the dll used to the hardware decoding (I have only found the one for software decoding and maybe this is link to the IsHWMFxLib value).

Thanks again,

cheers

OP
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Olivier,

Regards,
Nina
0 Kudos