Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

H.264 Decoder

slavanap
Beginner
Hello.
Is there anabilityto decodeH.264/AVC Annex H format for MVC (two input streams: the left view + delta for the right view) using Intel Media SDK 2012?
(There is only one example related to decode multi-view video in the SDK, and it can obtain only one input file.)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi,

The Media SDK MVC decoder only takes one stream input which is the MVC stream (containing both L and R encoded views). This usage is illustrated in sample_decode.

The MVC encoder (as illustrated in the sample_encode) takes 2 (L and R view) raw YUV input files and generates one elementary MVC stream.

We do not provide any example mvc streams so to test decode I suggest you generate a stream usingsample_encode.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
slavanap
Beginner
Hi, Petter.
I asked about supporting H.264/AVC Annex H in the SDK or will it be supported in the future.
H.264/AVC Annex H format is used in SSIF-files on Blu-ray 3D disks.
So, is there some way to decode Blu-ray 3D with the SDK? or will it be supported?
Regards,
Vyacheslav.
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Vyacheslav,

H.264/AVC Annex H is supported by the SDK. This is what we define as MVC.

3D Blu-ray is separate spec which has additional requirements for MVC streams (sometimes even contradicting AVC Annex H spec !).

We are working on some improvements that will introduce extended MVC capabilities, including 3D Blu-ray spec support, that will be released as part of the Media SDK Gold Update, planned for release a couple of weeks from now.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
slavanap
Beginner
Hi Petter,
Please, can you inform me (or subscribe for such kind of news) when this update comes out?
Thank you.
Best regards,
Vyacheslav.
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Vyacheslav,

The projected release date of updated Media SDK package is 4 weeks from now.
At the date of release the Media SDK product page will be updated, we will also make an announcement on this forum.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
S_O_
Beginner

Hi Petter,

I am interested in the answer to the same question as vyacheslav, which was: given an MVC file (.mp4, .mts, m2ts), how can we split it into the left/right video streams that can be read frame by frame using the intel media sdk?

thank you.

-soak

Petter Larsson (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

The Media SDK MVC decoder only takes one stream input which is the MVC stream (containing both L and R encoded views). This usage is illustrated in sample_decode.

The MVC encoder (as illustrated in the sample_encode) takes 2 (L and R view) raw YUV input files and generates one elementary MVC stream.

We do not provide any example mvc streams so to test decode I suggest you generate a stream usingsample_encode.

Regards, Petter

0 Kudos
slavanap
Beginner
Hi, S.O. Unfortunately, I haven't solve that problem yet. The one and the main issue, that usually for the blu-ray .ssif format we have 2 DirectShow streams with MEDIASUBTYPE_AVC1 & MEDIASUBTYPE_EMVC video subtypes for base and dependent view correspondingly, and Intel Media SDK MVC decoder accepts only MEDIASUBTYPE_H264 video subtype. These formats are not compatible, and without special format converter (actually only headers differ) we can't use Intel Media MVC decoder right away. And unfortunately again, I haven't enough time interval to solve this issue (i.e. write the DS filter that converts two streams into the proper one). P.S. for advanced reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757808(v=vs.85).aspx
S O. wrote:
Hi Petter, I am interested in the answer to the same question as vyacheslav, which was: given an MVC file (.mp4, .mts, m2ts), how can we split it into the left/right video streams that can be read frame by frame using the intel media sdk? thank you.
0 Kudos