Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

H.264 Encoder for 4K Videos?

superrudi
Beginner

Hi,

will it be possible in the (near) future to encode Videos with higher resolution than 1920x1080? We need an encoder for videos with a 4K resolution (3840 × 2160). Are there plans to support this?

Cheers,

SuperRudi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Markus_Pingel
New Contributor I
Hi, at least the current version seems to support 4096x2160, so 3840x2160 should also be possible. I get the warning MFX_WRN_INCOMPATIBLE_VIDEO_PARAM if I select interlaced and the encoder switches to progressive, but the produced stream looks OK. Do you set Width/Height CropH/CropW and the CodecLevel correct?
0 Kudos
superrudi
Beginner
I'm using the DirectShow filter and i thought the resolution 1920x1080 is a limitation of the encoder. Perhaps it is a limitation of the DirectShow filter. I have installed version 3.0.014 GOLD now and i will try to install the newest one.
0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Which driver version are you using? And which CPU is it?
0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I
My understanding (maybe wrong) is that hardware 4K encoding is not yet available in hardware, correct? Will this likely happen in upcoming CPUs? Thanks
0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Encoding of 4096x2034 is supported. For DirectShow there are variables in the pipeline (graph) that can limit resolution. -Tony
0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
HI, I need to clarify that last statement. While it is "supported", is not available "in hardware", as indicated by the "MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION" result when the Medai SDK encoder is initialized. Sorry for the confusion. -Tony
0 Kudos