Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

H.264 Profiles in gstreamer-vaapi

William_K_2
Novice

Hello,

I am doing some experimentation using gstreamer-vaapi on an Intel i3-4370 CPU. I am running libva 1.6.1, and libva Intel driver 1.6.0 on Ubuntu 15.04.

My issue is that I cannot seem to get the thing to do anything except constrained baseline, despite asking it to do other profiles.

For example:

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/ramdisk/bbb_sunflower_1080p_30fps_normal.mp4 ! qtdemux ! vaapidecode ! vaapiencode_h264 ! video/x-h264,profile=high ! qtmux ! filesink location=/ramdisk/tmp.mov

appears to work fine, but something like:

avprobe -show_streams /ramdisk/tmp.mov

will indicate

profile=Constrained Baseline

Indeed, the output file sizes don't change much, if at all, between the profiles.

The only way that I can see a change what avprobe reports for the profile is to change the encoder element to:

vaapiencode_h264 dct8x8=1

My question is, is this correct behavior? Do we need dct8x8 to do anything higher than Constrained Baseline? If so, why? Is this a fundamental detail of H.264, or is this an implementation detail?

I am trying to compare some tradeoffs between HW and SW implementations, so I am trying to be very careful which knobs I turn, in order to be able to properly compare.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
-Bill Katsak

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

This previous conversation may help: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/559845

As was covered there, gstreamer-vaapi isn't officially supported with Media SDK/Media Server Studio installation and is out of the scope of this forum.  However, you may be able to take your question to the gstreamer-devel mailing list.

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
William_K_2
Novice

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. If you look closely, the thread that you linked is my own thread from a few months ago, and in fact I was the one who came up with the solution to the issue at hand. This is indeed a new issue that I thought may be of interest to this community (indeed, a component specifically disobeying what you are asking it to do!).

I'll check out gstreamer-devel and 01.org.

Thanks again,
Bill

0 Kudos