Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

H.264 decoder. Header with non key frame

Alex_S_16
Beginner

Have a good time! I have an abnormal situation - some cameras generates the non key frame, but sometimes this camera adds the "extra data" (i.e. header) at the begin of non key frame. The "scenario" is - one frame in given buffer. The MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeHeader() in this case (as in case of I-frame) returns MFX_ERR_NONE as result. But MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeFrameAsync() returns MFX_ERR_INCOMPATIBLE_VIDEO_PARAM. I invoke, as manual recommend, the MFXVideoDECODE_GetVideoParam(), that returns the same values as previous decoded frame, so, it no need to reallocate my frame buffers. The my next step is reinitialization the DECODE object (invoke MFXVideoDECODE_Init() that returns the MFX_ERR_NONE). Then I "drain" old frames with MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeFrameAsync() with NULL pointer as a first param and continue the decoding loop. The first invoke of MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeFrameAsync() returns MFX_ERR_MORE_DATA and output mfxSyncPoint as NULL, and so on.

On my mind, decoder "thinks", that if the frame has the header (cose MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeHeader() returns the correct result), it is a key frame, try to decode it as a key frame, but, in fact, it is non key frame with header as it's prefix.

Unfortunately I don't know why some cameras make it. The question is - can I detect this situation with Media SDK and decode so frame correctly? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Alex,

From a Media SDK perspective, if you follow the steps described in MediaSDK manual under the "Decoding Procedures" section  and supply data that is not sufficient to decode an entire frame, the DecodeFrameAsync call will return "MFX_ERR_MORE_DATA" and you can send more data until you reach a point in the bitstream that is sufficient. It is recommended that app control header insertion before delivering frames to decoder and you can reposition decoder bitstream to decode frames, I suggest following recommended steps in MediaSDK Developers Guide document "Decoder Bitstream Repositioning" section (chapter 3.4). Hope this is the information you are looking for. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Alex,

From a Media SDK perspective, if you follow the steps described in MediaSDK manual under the "Decoding Procedures" section  and supply data that is not sufficient to decode an entire frame, the DecodeFrameAsync call will return "MFX_ERR_MORE_DATA" and you can send more data until you reach a point in the bitstream that is sufficient. It is recommended that app control header insertion before delivering frames to decoder and you can reposition decoder bitstream to decode frames, I suggest following recommended steps in MediaSDK Developers Guide document "Decoder Bitstream Repositioning" section (chapter 3.4). Hope this is the information you are looking for. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Alex_S_16
Beginner

Thank you Harsh

0 Kudos