Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

H264 Decode artifacts in Media Foundation for HD resolution

Ramakrishna_A_
Beginner

We are observing artifacts in HD(1920x1080) h.264 videos, for first few frames (around initial 8-10 frames, they have some black patches as if some error concealment applied). This issue is not observed with any other resolution.
Test topology is as below:
File source --> Intel Hardware H264 decoder MFT --> Custom MFT to do Video Filter -> Intel Hardware H264 Encoder->MP4 Sink
In order to fetch uncompressed video buffers i.e., decoded frames, we used the suggested methods in: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa473821(v=vs.85).aspx

This issue is observed particularly when we use the best fetching method (use the underlying Direct3D surface). No artifacts are observed, if other fetching methods are used. Is this behavior known? Is it a driver issue or might it be something related to use of the Direct3D surface method?

This issue is observed when using the Intel drivers 4251, 4264 and 4279 on window8.1

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ramakrishna, 

Thank you for describing the issue well, this doesn't look like to be a known issue. Most of our known issues are captured in the release notes. It's hard to tell what might be causing this issue, to debug can you send us a reproducer with the input and the details of your system to try at our end? 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Ramakrishna_A_
Beginner

Hi Surbhi,

Please find attached 7z file that contains sample application to reproduce this issue. It includes readme.txt, source code and pre-built application. Also, I have included input file and screen shot of artifacts frame.

You can use broadwell machine i5-5300U, with window 8.1 OS, to reproduce this issue. Already I have provided details of intel driver versions.

-Ramakrishna

0 Kudos
Ramakrishna_A_
Beginner

Hello,

Could any one pick up the sample app to reproduce the issue? Please provide the update

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Ramakrishna,

Thank you for sharing the reproducer of the issue. We will look into this issue and will update soon. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Ramakrishna,

We could not reproduce this issue with provide reproducer app (simpleTranscode) on latest graphics driver (4300). Can you please update to latest graphics drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and test again. Let me know if artifacts are still visible with latest driver?

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Ramakrishna_A_
Beginner

Hello Harsh,

I have updated to latest drivers (4300) and tested it, issue is still present. In fact, there is no change in output. Can you upload or share the output of reproducer app? I am just wondering how could it possibly give two different outputs with same drivers version.

-Ramakrishna.

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Ramakrishna,

Please find below output from the repro app attached. Its interesting that with latest driver (4300) issue is still visible. Can you share log from system analyzer tool (mediaSDK/tools/system_analyzer)? Latest mediaSDK is available here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-sdk. Also, can you confirm, if your machine includes any discrete graphics?

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Ramakrishna_A_
Beginner

Hello Harsh,

My machine doesn't include any dGPU. In fact, it is a NUC model i.e., NUC5i5MYHE. I will try to get the log using system analyzer tool

-Ramakrishna

0 Kudos