Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

H265 on 4-th gen CPU decoder memory leak.

Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi,

We are experiencing a leak when H265 is attempted decoded and the decoder is subsequently closed - it leaks memory.

Preconditions:
Media SDK version: 2016.0.1
CPU: Any CPU pre Skylake that is supported by SDK

Steps to reproduce:
From individual threads, create several decoders and start decoding h.265 streams in 4K resolution.
Repeatedly close decoders and create new ones and continue decoding 4K h.265 streams.

Expected result:
You can keep decoding new streams without performance degradation.

Actual result:
After a while calls to SyncOperation() starts returning status code MFX_ERR_ABORTED. If you continue to destroy and create decoders, eventually the call to Init() on the SDK never returns, and you have effectively lost the thread the code is running in.

The CPU tested on: i7 4770K

thank you,

Artur.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for this report.  Are you running in Linux, Windows, or both?

0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Oh, forgot to mention :)

Also please note that the same code/application does not have this issue on 6-th gen CPU (Skylake). Seems to me that when the hybrid decoding is used on non-6th gen CPU there is a leak.

0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi Jeffery,

Is there anything new?

br.

Artur.

0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi Jeffery,

Just wanted to ask if you are looking into this issue or?

BR.

Artur

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for the delay.  I was able to reproduce the leak for HEVC SW decode plugin decode to video memory, but decode to system memory seems to work in my tests.  A bug is filed for HEVC plugin SW decode to video memory.   Do you see the leak for decode to system memory too?

0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi Jeffery,

Yes, we see this also when using system memory :
MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_SYSTEM_MEMORY / (request type)MFX_MEMTYPE_SYSTEM_MEMORY

B.R.

Artur,

0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi Jeffery,

Do you have any news?.. and is there a fix on the way? maybe new mediaSDK version?

Best regards,

Artur.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Artur,

Jeff was moved to other project, this is why he didn't have response.

I have check his report on last Oct. and I am checking the status of it.

Mark

0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi Mark.

are there any news? 

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Artur,

Sorry this issue was taking so long and I didn't give you update.

I actually check the issue with dev team after my previous post at 2017 but they could not reproduce it. I actively worked on it for 2 weeks and then move to other projects.

I want to check with them again but do you have any updates on the latest release with the latest driver?

Mark.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Artur,

Dev team told me that they can not reproduce it with the following setup:

Can not reproduce with the latest environment: the binaries from MediaSDK 2018 R2, Windows10, kabylake.
Command line: sample_decode h265 -i flower_cif.hevc -sw -p hevcd_sw -timeout 600 -d3d

My understanding is, at the time you where speaking "non-6th gen CPU", there is no KabyLake, so this should be Broadwell(5th-gen), I have asked them to try on BDW.

Mark
0 Kudos
Artur_M_
Beginner

Hi Mark,

Yes this does not happen on Skylake++ CPUs, the issue was seen on Haswell and Broadwell.

In the mean time i will try to retest with new 2018 R2 SDK on Broadwell as well.

Artur.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Artur,

I also ask dev team to try on Broadwell, we also can't reproduce it.

Here are the test condition:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5350U
 Driver: 15.40.38.4963 (latest product driver for 5th Gen from Intel.com)

Mark

0 Kudos