Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC 10-bit support on Media Server Studio 2017 Windows vs Media SDK 2018 for Windows

shavkat_n_
Beginner
Good day,

Please help in clarifying following matter.

As I understand following table describes HEVC decode/encode capability with Media Server Studio 2017 on windows/linux.
Given for Skylake chipset.

decode encode

8 bit HW HW

10 bit CPU HW/CPU

With Media SDK 2018 (Windows) this table changes to following

decode encode

8 bit HW HW

10 bit GPU(gacc) HW/GPU(gacc)

Question 1 : Am I correct in this assumption ?

Question 2 : If I have following stack: 
Windows Server 2016
Intel Media SDK 2018
Intel Xeon 6th generation (SkyLake)

It can support server level quality of HEVC 10-bit decoding(gpu) and encoding(hw/gpu) ?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Shavkat,

Q1. No, we should support encoding and decoding with HEVC 10bit, although we might have GACC for VPP function.

Q2. Yes, it should support. But I would prefer you can specific what the "server level quality" mean?

Mark

0 Kudos
shavkat_n_
Beginner

Hello Mark Liu,

Thanks for reply.

To clarify.

-> A1. Do you mean both MSS 2017 and Media SDK 2018 windows support HW decoding and encoding of HEVC 10 bit video ?

Could you give more specific information about which versions of MSD, MSS, 2017, 2018 windows or linux versions support HEVC 10bit encode and decode feature.

ex:   

HEVC 10-bit support

Decode

Encode

MSS Essential 2017(windows)

CPU

HW/CPU

MSS Essential 2017(linux)

?

?

MSS 2018 (only linux)

?

?

MSDK 2018 (windows)

SW/GPU

HW/GPU

HEVC 8-bit support

Decode

Encode

CPU

HW/CPU

?

?

MSS 2018 (only linux)

?

?

MSDK 2018 (windows)

HW/GPU

HW/GPU

Feel free to modify and update those tables. 

I have looked up in documentation and release notes but it doesn't always say specific HEVC 10-bit support, but uses general words. 

-> A2. I meant above software decode/encoding

Best regards,

0 Kudos
shavkat_n_
Beginner

It is pity that Intel Media Forum doesn't have it's own table-formatting and pasting from word doesn't work well.

Following is pasted from word...

HEVC 10-bit support

Decode

Encode

CPU

HW/CPU

?

?

MSS 2018 (only linux)

?

?

MSDK 2018 (windows)

HW/GPU

HW/GPU

0 Kudos
shavkat_n_
Beginner

hevc_support_table.JPG

Previous table was confusing, so just took screenshot from ms word. 

Could you please provide such hevc support table, please? You can add MSS Professional as well ?

Much appreciate,

Thank you

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks for the details, 

But what is the hardware? You could also check it first with the hardware capabilities, this might solve most of your question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

Yes, it is not easy to answer this question. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mark 

0 Kudos
SeongHun_P_
Beginner

We will buy Skylake hardware 'Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1585 v5'

Thakn you..

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

This solution should be a good news to your project.

In the previous post, I shared the page to check the hardware capability, there is one more reference you can use to check the driver layer:

https://github.com/Intel/media-driver

At the bottom of the page, it is the driver capability on the Linux system, although there is still possibility we don't support some features at the SDK level(I never know if there is so just the possibility), but it is pretty close.

Mark

0 Kudos
SeongHun_P_
Beginner
HEVC 10-bit Hardware-accelerate unsupport

But, is it possible to HEVC 10-bit decode and encode GPU using 'HEVC codec components' on SDK 2018 or MSS 2018?

Much appreciate,

Thank you..
0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Yes, it should support, you can refer to the following release note:

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/e1/63/media_server_studio_hevc_release_notes.pdf

I should mention there is a third method to check the hardware capability, there is a tutorial code in 0.0.4 tutorial release called "simple_codec", you can run it to check the hardware capabilities.

Mark 

0 Kudos