Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC Decocder (Sample app) Not working on Core-i3-3220 CPU

shashwat_D_
Beginner

Hi,

I downloaded latest MEDIA SDK (media_sdk_5.0.486.98113) with INDE free edition. I downloaded the sample apps too.

In decode sample app i changed the line

mfxVideoParams.mfx.CodecId = MFX_CODEC_AVC;

to 

mfxVideoParams.mfx.CodecId = MFX_CODEC_HEVC;

And provided an H.265 encoded bitstream as input but the MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeHeader API returns MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED/wrong dll loaded. Can someone guide me where I'm going wrong.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Media SDK requires an additional plugin library to decode h.265 streams. This plugin is currently available only as a part of Media server studio and can be downloaded from https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio. HEVC decode is currently not available as a part of Media SDK client. 

0 Kudos
shashwat_D_
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I downloaded the evaluation version. and changed the linking of libmfx.lib from client version to server version. Still I'm getting the same error. How do i link the hevcd.dll files.

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Shashwat,

HEVC decoder is implemented as a plugin (hevcd.dll) and is loaded using specific APIs that application must call (LoadPlugin). A plugin can be loaded either by GUID (declared in mfxplugin.h) or by path. Sample_decode actually shows these capabilities. You should not modify the code directly as you described, but you should just specify codec type as "h265" in command line and add "-p" option. For example:

sample_decode.exe h265 -i in.bit -o out.yuv -p 15dd936825ad475ea34e35f3f54217a6

Regards,

Nina

0 Kudos