Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC Decoder Multicore Performance

SDeut
Beginner

I'm running Intel® Media Server Studio 2015 R4 and use the HEVC decoder plugin.

As far as I understood, it will work CPU only. So I'd expect near 100% CPU usage, but I see only 50% and running two cores only.

I already tried to adjust mfxVideoParam.AsyncDepth and mfxInfoMFX.NumThread, but this does not make a difference.

Am I missing anything?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Stephan, you may try sample_decoder to check how to improve multi-threading with AsyncDepth. Essentially AsyncDepth is a threading control for decoders, NumThreads is a depricated field and should not have any impact. With simple_decoder you can variate -async option up to 20 to see how it impact CPU load.

Alexey

0 Kudos
SDeut
Beginner

Since I'm in a video editing environment, I need often a single, independent decoded frame (e.g. for thumbnails or backward key frame stepping).

So it would be not possible, to have multi-threading inside a single frame?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Stephan, 

If you are using windows OS, there are two implementation present for HEVC decoder, one is  pure SW solution and another one is GPU accelerated HEVC decoder. Can you please confirm the OS and the Cmd line you are using to run HEVC decoder using the sample_decode.  

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
SDeut
Beginner

Hi Surbhi,

I'm on Windows OS and run Intel Media Studio Professional R4, I see four plugins here:

15dd936825ad475ea34e35f3f54217a6 hevcd_sw
2fca99749fdb49aeb121a5b63ef568f7 hevce_sw
87e0e80207375240852515cf4a5edde6 h265fei_hw
e5400a06c74d41f5b12d430bbaa23d0b hevce_hw

so it seems to have one SW decoder only. For samples I'm using <Intel Media Samples 6.0.0.68>

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Stephan,

GPU accelerated HEVC decoder plugin ID is 33a61c0b4c27454ca8d85dde757c6f8e. You can find all the plugin GUIDs in mfxplugin.h under MSSInstallationDirectory/Software Development Kit/include/. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Stephan, 

I hope you were able to get to the issue. just to clear it again, we have two implementation present on windows OS- SW implementation, uses only CPU and GPU Accelerated implementation implemented through drivers, which uses both CPU and GPU. More details in the readme of the latest samples package.  
Can you let us the cmd line you are using and can you check the GPU activity on your system as well. Please let us know you system details as well. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos