Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC HW encoding quality/bitrate issue on SKL

Jianlin_Q_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We're testing MediaSDK HEVC HW encoding on SKL (with Iris Pro 580). Media SDK version 1.13.

We found the bitrate/quality is not satisfactory when the test scenario is Video conferencing, which normally have static background, and foreground with low motion. 

We use the lastest MSDK sample_encode against MSDK 6.0.0.388. The input image is 300-frame I420 of 720p captured from camera. Two groups of test is conducted:

1.  Compare bitrate/PSNR of encoded HEVC with AVC, using the same QP value 26 at CPQ mode.  The encoded image contains only I/P frame. GOP size is open. NumRef =1.  Target_Usage=balanced, framerate=30.

2.  Compare bitrate/PSNR of encoded HEVC with AVC, using the same bitrate 1500kbps at CBR mode. The encoded image contains only I/P frame. GOP size is open. NumRef=1, Target_Usage=balanced, framerate =30.

Here is the result:

Codec

BRC

QP

File Size

PSNR

AVC

CBR

N/A

1761 KB

HEVC

CBR

N/A

1826 KB

AVC

CQP

1845 KB

HEVC

CQP

2692 KB

Such kind of result is far from satisfactory.  We and our customer expect at CQP mode the bitrate of HEVC is 40% lower than AVC, but now it's nearly 50% higher.   We expect at CBR mode the video quality of HEVC to be better but however it has lower PSNR.

Have you tested the video conferencing scenario, or are you aware of any specific settings we could apply to get better PSNR for HEVC at CBR mode, and lower bitrate for HEVC at CQP mode?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jianlin_Q_Intel
Employee

Seems I posted this twice. Please close one of them.

0 Kudos
NikhilKuma_R_Intel

This thread will be continued in email. I'll be keep posting the updates here. Thanks!

0 Kudos
wang__shanshan
Beginner

Hi, Nikhil R

I'm doing encoding on SKL (with Intel(R) HD Graphics 530). Media SDK version 1.19. I have the same problem. Is there any progress now?I look forward to your answer.

Best Regards

0 Kudos