Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC Hardware Accelerated Sample Unable to Run

Soh__Ee_Binn
Beginner

Hi

My machine is an Intel i7-5850EQ. I have installed the Professional Media SDK and the HEVC Evaluation.

When I tried to run the samples for HEVC encoding, I get errors.

vainfo does not show the HEVC profiles.

May I know if my hardware can support Media SDK?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Binn,

You are using Broadwell processor and according to the following release notes, we should support HEVC encoder:

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/cf/4d/media_server_studio_sdk_release_notes_linux_2017.pdf

The other way to check it is to run our tutorial code simple_codec, it will report the supported codecs. You can download the tutorial 0.0.4 from following page:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/code-samples

What is your environment? Linux, Windows, Which MSDK version.

Mark

0 Kudos
Soh__Ee_Binn
Beginner

Hi

I am using MediaServerStudioProfessionalEvaluation2017R3.tar.gz on Linux CentOS 7.

I am able to run the HEVC when the plugin mfxplugin64_hevce_sw is used but it runs into errors when mfxplugin64_hevce_gacc.dll or the hevce_hw are used.

I have intention to purchase the Professional license if it can at least work on my system.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Binn,

It should work and I can confirm this by running encoding with windows platform, but I got it failure if I don't have the correct arguments. Could you confirm it with the following command line?

sample_encode.exe h265 -hw -i ..\content\test_stream_176x96.yuv -h 96 -w 176 -o out.265 -p hevce_sw
plugin_loader.h :173 [INFO] Plugin was loaded from GUID: { 0x2f, 0xca, 0x99, 0x74, 0x9f, 0xdb, 0x49, 0xae, 0xb1, 0x21, 0xa5, 0xb6, 0x3e, 0xf5, 0x68, 0xf7 } (Intel (R) Media SDK plugin for HEVC ENCODE)
Encoding Sample Version 8.3.26.352

Input file format       YUV420
Output video            HEVC
Source picture:
        Resolution      176x96
        Crop X,Y,W,H    0,0,176,96
Destination picture:
        Resolution      176x96
        Crop X,Y,W,H    0,0,176,96
Frame rate      30.00
Bit rate(Kbps)  86
Gop size        60
Ref dist        0
Ref number      0
Idr Interval    0
Target usage    balanced
Memory type     system
Media SDK impl          hw
Media SDK version       1.26

Processing started
Frame number: 101
Encoding fps: 506
plugin_loader.h :199 [INFO] MFXBaseUSER_UnLoad(session=0x0000012CA00C52C0), sts=0

Processing finished

Mark Liu
0 Kudos
Soh__Ee_Binn
Beginner

Thank you, it is working

0 Kudos
Soh__Ee_Binn
Beginner

Hi

When I use simple_codec, it tells me that all the H.265 encoders are not closed successfully.

However, when I run sample_encode.exe h265 -hw -i ..\content\test_stream_176x96.yuv -h 96 -w 176 -o out.265 -p (GUID of hevce_gacc64), it can can.

Therefore, I am confused whether the hardware acceleration of the HEVC did actually get executed or not.

Any comments on this?

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Binn,

To check if the hardware accelerated codec is used, you need to use "-hw" without GUID of GACC. You can also force hardware codec in simple_codec to make sure the hardware codec is used.

Mark

0 Kudos