Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC decode performance

john_h_1
Beginner

We are bench marking HEVC decode performance on an i7-7700K Kaby Lake (4.2GHz), with 32GB of DDR4.  We just installed the latest 2017 Media SDK (LInux). We use ffmpeg with the hevc_qsv codec.

The video input streams are HEVC 4K (3840x2160), 10-bit, 100Mbps, 60fps. Our output format is v210 (422, 10-bit). Our output destination is just "-f null -" so the only I/O should just be reading the encoded file from an SSD.  E.g.,

ffmpeg -y -benchmark -hwaccel qsv -i Videos/uhd100b.ts -vcodec v210  -f null -

We were hoping/expecting to see decode rates at or better than real-time. However, ffmpeg reports "speed" at about 0.70x. The CPU load is evenly distributed over 8 cores, at about 55% per core. What performance should we expect?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

0 Kudos
0 Replies