Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC decoder plugin blocks AVC decoder

SDeut
Beginner

I'm using Intel® Media Server Studio 2015 R4. My application makes usage of the media sdk library (libmfxsw64.dll) for decoding AVC video.

As soon as I add the HEVC decoder plugin folder to my application (15dd936825ad475ea34e35f3f54217a6 plus content), the initialization of AVC decoding fails in MFXVideoDECODE_Init with error MFX_ERR_INVALID_VIDEO_PARAM.

I even do NOT load the plugin with MFXVideoUSER_Load (.. MFX_PLUGINID_HEVCD_SW ..), so I wonder what's the influence of the plugin folder here?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Stephan,

Is this behavior being observed on our samples or tutorial applications? If so, can you please send us more details (exact sample used, command line, any changes to the code. OS/platform) - we do not expect such behavior from our samples/tutorials.

0 Kudos
SDeut
Beginner

sorry, I described one thing wrong, I did load the plugin:

sts = MFXVideoUSER_Load (m_mfxSession, & MFX_PLUGINID_HEVCD_SW, 1) ;

if you add this line in sample, e.g. pipeline_decode.cpp directly after session.InitEx () call, you can see the behavior in sample as well.

The sample does not decode AVC anymore, and fails in MFXVideoDECODE_Init.

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

you can't have 2 decoders in one session. you need to create another session for the second decoder. Each session allows to include 1 Decoder, 1 VPP and 1 encoder. for more complicated configuration you need to create multiple sessions and join them

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Ah, thanks for the clarification Stephan - Alexey's response is spot on. You can take a look at our sample_multi_transcode as an example of how to create multiple media sessions.

0 Kudos
SDeut
Beginner

thank you for reply.

I did not have two decoders in session, but did always load the plugin, regardless of the video codec. So I do this dynamically now, this fixes my problem.

0 Kudos