Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC encode fail

yiling_w_
Beginner

Hi, i got a issue about H.265 encode in I7-4770 platform with WIN7(same symptom in both 32-bit and 64-bit),however H.264 is available.

you can see the picture for detailed error code. pls help me ,thank you!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I can only see part of the command line in the picture.  What parameters are you using?

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

i use the follow command line:

sample_encode.exe h265 -hevc_encoder_plugin 1.9 -i 5_OldTownCross_1080p25.yuv -o 5_OldTownCross_1080p25_1M_speed.h265 -w 1920 -h 1080 -b 1000 -f 25 -u speed

and this command line is available in I7-4770R platform.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I have not been able to replicate the error you're seeing, However, here are a few hints.

1. The plugin version is not the same thing as the API version.  You can find the plugin version in the Plugin/<GUID>/plugin.cfg file.  The number to use for this release is 1.

2.  Error code -4 means a problem allocating memory.  Is there plenty of free memory on your machine?

3.  Do you see this behavior at other resolutions?

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

Hi, i suppose the issue is caused by incorrect plugin configure.

i use the following process to install HEVC:(1) install media SDK 2013-R2--->(2)install media SDK 2014-R2----->(3)install HEVC--->(4)run H.264 once--->(5)uninstall media SDK 2013-R2---->(6)run HEVC normal

the method can be used in i7-4770R and i3-3217U platform, and run HEVC normal.

however,this way is unavailable in I7-4770 platform, the symptom is hang on  processing started.

so i am confused.

0 Kudos
Brooks_L_1
Beginner

Jeffrey is right. I encountered the same problem and resolved by inserting correct version number inside my command line. But the encoding performance is very disappointing. On my PC, i3 3220 + 8G memory, the cpu usage is over 70% and it almost took 5 more minutes to finish 400 frames encoding. ( The resolution of each picture is 1920 x 1080 ). Ofcause, this spec does not satisfy my demand for product.

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

i try the solution that jeffrey mentioned, but no useful.

1. change plugin version from 1.9 to 1.0, and command line as follow:

sample_encode.exe h265 -hevc_encoder_plugin 1.0 -i 5_OldTownCross_1080p25.yuv -o 5_OldTownCross_1080p25_1M_speed.h265 -w 1920 -h 1080 -b 1000 -f 25 -u speed

2.the machine i used have 16G memory(8G*2), so i think it is enough.

3. i try other resolutions(1280*720), but the same symptom.

and i think my installed process is too complicated, there is no sense.

for brooks:how to inserted correct version number inside the command line?  as the item 1 that i used is correct?

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There is known issue/limitation with using API 1.9 and the specific version of HEVC SW pack.

From MediaSDK release notes:

"To load plugins from Intel Media SDK HEVC Software Pack version 1.0.1.0 with Intel Media SDK software library from this release you need to call MFXInit with API version 1.8, not 1.9. "

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

Hi Tony:

same symptom with API version 1.8, pls see the attached picture for details.

and i try API version 1.9 on I7-4770R and I3-3217U platforms, both of them are normal. so i suspect there is unrelated to API version.

BTW, i run HEVC on different vendors of M/B, but the same result and the same symptom. so i am very confused, if this trail HEVC can run on I7-4770 platform?

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

There is no reason the i7-4770 (Hasswell) platform should have issue while the i7-4770R (Crystalwell) platform works.

Can you please run the mediasdk_sys_analyzer tool (from the tools directory of the MediaSDK 2014 R2 install) on both systems?

While the memory is different, I know of no reason for an issue using the 1080P content you are using.

Only think I can think of is....the HEVC 'trial' package is supposed only be 30-day trial and may have expired on the i7-4770 system??? (though I did not think this is how it would fail)

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

Hi Tony,thanks for your kindly support.

the attached pictures is the result about running mediasdk_sys_analyzer tool, as it shows, I3-3217U can run successful, but I7-4770 hang on the processing started.

and HEVC "trial" package installed on the I3-3217U and I7-4770 is the same file. i download the package only once, but install it on different machines. 

BTW, i try it on different sizes even different vendors memory, but the same symptom.

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

HI,

I am a bit confused. I know you are trying to use (only) software feature, but...

Your screen shots show no HW API installed at all, even though the only graphics adapter discovered in Intel.  If graphics drivers are properly installed, all these platforms should be reporting HW decode and encode capabilities.

Are you accessing the machines remotely?  (just a guess, since Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) does not allow D3D9 device usage).

I ask because I feel there may be something about the memory model of graphics adapter that is affecting HEVC usage.

I personally do not have an I7-4700 system, however I have seen this work with I7-4700S and i7-4700R, so I am not sure what issue is.  Could you run "dxdiags" on both systems and provide the logs?  (Maybe we can spot an issue, though I admit I'm not sure what that would be).

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

hi tony:

got it, you can duplicate the symptom in 64-bit system while running win32 media sdk. it is very easily to duplicate in I7-4770 or I7-4770S platform.however, I3-3217U is work fine, and running 32-bit media sdk in 32-bit system is normal too even in I7-4770 or I7-4770S platform.

0 Kudos
yiling_w_
Beginner

Hi,update driver can fix this issue, even in 64-bit system, it can work normal now.

sorry for trouble you so long.

0 Kudos