Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC encoding, no Lookahead?

MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Is it correct that Lookahead isn't supported for HEVC encoding on Skylake? Is it because of PAK encoding?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi there,

Yes, currently Lookahead is not supported for hevc encoding on Skylake. Not specifically due to PAK encoding. But, this may/could change with product driver releases in future. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

which HEVC encoder do you test - SW, Gacc or HW? also which CPU SKU and driver version?

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Yups, Intel is not responsible for QSVEnc application. you need to ask Rigaya-san for details of implementation

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi Yups, could you share some results about your  HEVC HW encoding on skylake?

Encoding FPS compares with H.264

Encoding quality compares with H.264

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

Yups, you are welcome to submit bugs if you find our software do not work as declared. Faster way to investigate for us if you provide a good description and reproduser source. for this purpose you may use our samples

Regards, Alexey

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Yups,

Apologies for the confusion here. Thank you for your feedback, we will make changes to the documentation. Yes, I agree the need for lookahead feature in HEVC and it does provide help with better quality and performance. This feature is on our development plan and currently is not part of the product. But we may release it in future - please stay tuned. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you checking back on this feature. Currently, no new updates in regard to lookahead support for HEVC. But, as I mentioned it on our development roadmap and if, could share your feedback via "private message" on business details and impact with/without this feature. That would be really helpful for our product planning team. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
AaronL
Beginner

True, HW HEVC with QuickSync requires a Skylake processor with Intel Graphics, but my point is that is all it needs.  There is no need for any external graphics card.  This has always been true for QuickSync and distinguishes it from NVIDIA's hardware encoder, which requires _both_ a processor and a separate graphics card.  Requiring both limits the number of hardware solutions that can be used to accommodate this requirement.  It also almost certainly results in greater power consumption, although I don't have any data to back that suggestion up.  That's why I thought it wasn't a fair comparison.  Yes, NVIDIA's solution can be used with older processors or non-Intel processors, but if someone is looking for a small form factor solution that supports HW HEVC encoding, NVIDIA is not the way to go.  Regardless, I'm not suggesting that Intel's Skylake HW HEVC encoder/decoder shouldn't be better than it is, or that the Intel Media SDK isn't lacking in a number of different ways, and I agree with you that they ought to be better.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

A long time has passed, is there some progress? Or do we have to expect that nothing happens within another 1-2 years? If so, be honest so that we don't have to ask or expect something that won't happen for the foreseeable future. 

0 Kudos
TWilm
Novice

Will it be done? Yes or no?

0 Kudos