Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC licensing options

Matteo_S_1
Beginner

Hello,

I'd like to add QSV powered HEVC encode to a small time project, i wanted to know if there were any options for single socket HEVC(the professional pack is too expensive for me :( ) accelleration

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Matteo,

The HEVC licensing conditions are binding. Can you share more details on your project? Maybe we have different technical options to stay with community package.

Best Regards,

Bjoern Bruecher

0 Kudos
Matteo_S_1
Beginner

Bjoern Bruecher (Intel) wrote:
The HEVC licensing conditions are binding. Can you share more details on your project? Maybe we have different technical options to stay with community package.
What I'd like to do is a transcode/reencode of a preexisting video to a more standardized output using ffmpeg on a simple broadwell i7(1way socket), inbound files are longer than the demo 1k frames allowed by the community edition. HEVC_QSV on ffmpeg throws a litany of errors whenever i use it(be it as decode or encode) using the community edition and all documentation i've found shows it as a professional only option(which would cost me more than buying a maxwell-based nvidia board and just use NVENC). QSVencC loves to just crash on my pc so i wanted to use ffmpeg which works most of the times(but encodes hevc only in software due to the qsv license limits)

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Matteo,

Did you consider to move from Broadwell architecture to Skylake architecture? The 6th generation of Intel Core® processors as well as recently announced Xeon® E3-1500M v5 processors support HEVC encoding in hardware.

Best Regards,

Bjoern Bruecher

0 Kudos
Matteo_S_1
Beginner

Sorry I mismatched archs, I do have a skylake (a i7-6700) but when i use ffmpeg with QSV acceleration i get errors on decode&encode if i use HEVC_QSV(if use H264_QSV no issues whatsoever but i want to be able to encode with both h264 & HEVC). From what I've managed to learn from intel's whitepapers and other forums I need the pro license if i want to compile ffmpeg with HEVC_QSV filters enabled, if I'm wrong I'd love to know how can I compile/deploy/use ffmpeg with both h264 AND h265 operational with the minimal(possibly none) amount of money.

0 Kudos