Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC support by Intel Media SDK

Igor_R_
Beginner

Hi,

According to Release notes Intel Media SDK supports HEVC encoding/decoding 64/32 bit.

After I downloaded a free Intel Media SDK version I found out that unfortunately there are no HEVC plugins downloaded as I saw in case

of Intel Media Server Studio SDK (for example mfxplugin64_hevcd_sw.dll)..

May be there is some paid version of  Intel Media SDK that does include HEVC plugins or I did somthing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Igor Rivkin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Light_Intel

Hi Igor,

This issue does not belong in this forum. I am going to move it to the Media SDK forum where you can get the help you need.

Regards,

Noga

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Igor,

There are 3 different routes to HEVC. 

1. Full HW implementation in the driver for 6th Generation Core/Skylake.  These plugins are distributed with the driver install.  More info here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/593838
  2. A software implementation, distributed as a plugin with the Professional version of Media Server Studio
  3. A hybrid GPU accelerated version (covering a wider range of hardware than option #1) also distributed as a plugin with the professional version of Media Server Studio

Since it looks like you're after option #1, try the instructions in the link provided.  If that does not work the first things to try are

1. Check your machine -- the full hardware implementation is only available for 6th Generation Core architecture processors with HD/Iris/Iris Pro graphics. 
  2. If your HW is the right generation and you can see an Intel graphics adapter in device manager, try updating your graphics driver to the latest version (15.40.x.x) from http://downloadcenter.intel.com.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

0 Kudos
li_b_
Beginner
Hi Lgor, I want to know if Intel® Media Server Studio 2017 - Community Edition includes HEVC plugin(e.g. mfxplugin64_hevcd_sw.dll) , Or I must use Professional version (or other version) if I want to use HEVC Plugin. Thanks.
0 Kudos