Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC support in yesterdays INDE update

celli4
New Contributor I

Yesterday, an update of INDE was released.

Is there any support for HEVC decoding or encoding in that release?  Could you please explain if any HEVC encoding or decoding can be performed using the Media SDK inside INDE? I am asking about the Windows platform, but am curious about Linux too.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. Let me explain in detail, required HEVC support (libraries,Dll's) are provided as part of Graphics drivers. Using MSDK  samples (Sample decode) available part of INDE and MSS you can perform HEVC HW (Hybrid solution) decoding. We have not changed  plugin model. You can verify by running following command line on your machine provided you have latest graphics drivers installed on a  4th gen and above Intel hardware. We donot have HEVC encoder support with INDE. For encode support, please download Media server studio.

sample_decode h265 –i InputHEVCfile.265 –o outputfile.ext –hw –p 33a61c0b4c27454ca8d85dde757c6f8e –d3d -w (width) –h (height) –b (bitrate).

We provide HEVC SW encode and decode solution, you will need the SW codec plugins which is available for download through our Media Server Studio Professional edition. https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details#professional. Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Yes, we have HEVC support on previous API's too, and yes on Windows which is  part of MediaSDK included in INDE suite. The new API has few updates and below link to a HEVC whitepaper, provides detailed complete analysis and description of MSDK hevc encoding and decoding including Linux support with Media server studio with brief description on platform support for Linux and windows.

HEVC white paper: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/3b/f2/Intel_HEVCwhitepaper_v1.45_06Apr2015.pdf

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

you need to check Media Server Studio Professional Edition - it contains HEVC encoder and decoder. INDE Media SDK does not include it

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details#professional

0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I

Alex and Harsh,

Thank you for both replying. The two of you made contradicting statements.  Although I could not find any evidence of HEVC support in INDE, unless it has changed from a plugin to being embedded in eithet libmfxhwNN.dll or libmfxswNN.dll

So, to be clear, there is no support for HEVC in INDE at this time?
Cameron

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. Let me explain in detail, required HEVC support (libraries,Dll's) are provided as part of Graphics drivers. Using MSDK  samples (Sample decode) available part of INDE and MSS you can perform HEVC HW (Hybrid solution) decoding. We have not changed  plugin model. You can verify by running following command line on your machine provided you have latest graphics drivers installed on a  4th gen and above Intel hardware. We donot have HEVC encoder support with INDE. For encode support, please download Media server studio.

sample_decode h265 –i InputHEVCfile.265 –o outputfile.ext –hw –p 33a61c0b4c27454ca8d85dde757c6f8e –d3d -w (width) –h (height) –b (bitrate).

We provide HEVC SW encode and decode solution, you will need the SW codec plugins which is available for download through our Media Server Studio Professional edition. https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details#professional. Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

0 Kudos