Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HW & SW compatibility

Victor_G_
Beginner
Hi All ! I have Intel R1304RPMSHOR 1U,1x1150,iC226,4xDDR3L,4xSAS/SATA HS,RAID 0/1/10,2xLAN 2x450W and Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (may be upgraded to 12.04.5 or downgraded to 12.04) Is it possible to use Media SDK R2 on this hardware? Thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

You didn't mention the processor in this system, but there is a good chance this configuration will work.  The basic requirement for Xeon support is E3-1285v3 and C226 chipset.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_
Beginner

This Intel platform have motherboard with C226 if I understand correctly: http://ark.intel.com/ru/products/76075/Intel-Server-System-R1304RPMSHOR And I have Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v3 @ 3.20GHz. This CPU has Intel® HD Graphics P4600 -- is it not enough to use Intel graphics via Media SDK?

0 Kudos
Artem
Beginner

Yes, the CPU will work.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_
Beginner
ok, thanks One more question Media SDK does not compile on 12.04.4 So I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04. Media SDK does not compile too with the same error. But 14.04 has the latest software version: xf86-video-intel 2.99.914 libdrm-intel1 2.4.52-1 Is it still needed to compile drm.ko and i915.ko from Media SDK distribution or this Ubuntu release has acceptable versions already? Thanks
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Media SDK R2 for Linux servers is supported on all updates of Ubuntu 12.04.  It is not officially supported on Ubuntu 14.04.  While many features will work in the later Ubuntu there are several that require the combination of patches to the graphics stack.  You are free to use the source included to do your own port to Ubuntu 14.04 but it is not a supported configuration.  Also please be aware that R2 is the last release supporting Ubuntu (more info here.)

What compilation problems are you seeing on Ubuntu 12.04.4?  You may be interested in this recently posted Linux Install Tutorial.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_
Beginner
ok I reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 and now I have following: ----------- cut_here --------- $ uname -a Linux ubu 3.11.0-15-generic #25~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 30 17:39:31 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS Release: 12.04 Codename: precise $ tar -xf MediaSDK2014R2LinuxServersEvaluation.tar $ cd Downloads/MediaSDK2014R2LinuxServersEvaluation/ $ sudo dpkg --force-all -i intel-linux-media-ubuntu_16.3.2.22368_amd64.deb (Reading database ... 52224 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking intel-linux-media-ubuntu (from intel-linux-media-ubuntu_16.3.2.22368_amd64.deb) ... dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_intel.so.1.0.0', which is also in package libdrm-intel1 2.4.46-1ubuntu0.0.0.1 dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_radeon.so.1.0.1', which is also in package libdrm-radeon1 2.4.46-1ubuntu0.0.0.1 dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2.4.0', which is also in package libdrm2 2.4.46-1ubuntu0.0.0.1 dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2', which is also in package libdrm2 2.4.46-1ubuntu0.0.0.1 dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_intel.so.1', which is also in package libdrm-intel1 2.4.46-1ubuntu0.0.0.1 dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_radeon.so.1', which is also in package libdrm-radeon1 2.4.46-1ubuntu0.0.0.1 Setting up intel-linux-media-ubuntu (16.3.2.22368) ... MediaSDK installed successfully in /opt/intel/mediasdk! Kernel module updated failed, due to mismatched kernel version with pre-build KMD. You have to rebuild kernel with patched files (kmd/source) manually. When your platform is xeon on ubuntu 12.04, after ko updated, you should also upgrade libdrm and xf86-video 2D driver for hardware support. (if you already done this before, please ignore.) After reboot, you can 'lsmod' to identify whether or not i915.ko loaded. if not, you have to rebuild whole kernel with kdm_patched_source(/kmd/source/) manually. ----------- /cut_here --------- /kmd/source/ has patches for k3.2-rel & k3.8-rel but I have kernel-3.11 What I need to do next? Just reboot and check lsmod? How I can check loaded module version? Or I need to downgrade to Ubuntu-12.04 with kernel 3.[28] ?
0 Kudos
Victor_G_
Beginner
ok Ubuntu reinstalled again :-) Kernel updated. MediaSDK installed successfully. Rebooted. Now I have following: ===== cut here # lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS Release: 12.04 Codename: precise # uname -a Linux ubu 3.8.0-23-generic #34~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 29 21:12:31 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux # lspci -nn | grep VGA 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:041a] (rev 06) # ldconfig -p | grep libmfx libmfxhw64.so (libc6,x86-64) => /opt/intel/mediasdk/bin/x64/libmfxhw64.so libmfxhw64.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libmfxhw64.so # /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64/sample_decode_drm h264 -i /home/vit/Broadband_1_upper.mp4 -o /home/vit/trailer_1080p.yuv -hw Return on error: error code -10, /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp 418 Return on error: error code -10, /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp 238 Return on error: error code 1, /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp 341 ===== /cut here Also dev package is not installed: "intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu depends on intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu; however: Package intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu is not installed." But I have no intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu at my MediaSDK distribution. I think it named intel-linux-media-ubuntu because I have intel-linux-media-ubuntu_16.3.2.22368_amd64.deb at MediaSDK archive Can anybody explain me where my problem now? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Victor_G_
Beginner
Hi All I have Ubuntu-12.04.3 now MediaServerStudioEssentialsEvaluation2015 for Linux downloaded kernel downgraded to 3.8.0-23 (as wrote at dpkg -i MediaServerStudioRuntimeUbuntuEvaluation2015.deb installed successfully ---- Selecting previously unselected package intel-linux-media-ubuntu. (Reading database ... 79398 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking intel-linux-media-ubuntu (from MediaServerStudioRuntimeUbuntuEvaluation2015.deb) ... Setting up intel-linux-media-ubuntu (16.3.2.22368) ... MediaSDK installed successfully in /opt/intel/mediasdk! Original i915.ko backuped in /ko_backup//i915.ko.2014-09-26_094218 Original drm KOs backuped in /ko_backup// KMDs installed successufully. need reboot. After reboot, you can 'lsmod' to identify whether i915.ko loaded. if not, you have to rebuild kernel by yourself with patched files (kdm/source) in this package. update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-23-generic Kernel module updated successfully! When your platform is xeon on ubuntu 12.04, after ko updated, you should also upgrade libdrm and xf86-video 2D driver for hardware support. (if you already done this before, please ignore.) After reboot, you can 'lsmod' to identify whether or not i915.ko loaded. if not, you have to rebuild whole kernel with kdm_patched_source(/kmd/source/) manually. ---- dpkg -i MediaServerStudioDevUbuntuEvaluation2015.deb not installed: ---- Selecting previously unselected package intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu. (Reading database ... 79530 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu (from MediaServerStudioDevUbuntuEvaluation2015.deb) ... Replacing files in old package intel-linux-media-ubuntu ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu: intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu depends on intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu; however: Package intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu is not installed. dpkg: error processing intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu (--install): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Errors were encountered while processing: intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu ---- This error the same as from previous MediaSDK2014R2LinuxServersEvaluation first package named "intel-linux-media-ubuntu" while second package require "intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu" (no -runtime- at installed package name) Is it really possible to simple install software from Intel ?
0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Victor,

In your sample_decode command line : /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64/sample_decode_drm h264 -i /home/vit/Broadband_1_upper.mp4 -o /home/vit/trailer_1080p.yuv -hw

,your input codec as h264 and you pass an mp4 file. The MSDK expects video stream as input. So, can you use ffmpeg or yamb software to extract the video stream from your mp4 file and pass that as the input to the decoder?

"Is it really possible to simple install software from Intel ?" -> Regarding your installation procedure, if you followed the steps given in this article, you install should be good. Have you had any luck getting the install to work recently?

0 Kudos