Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HW decoding memory leak

SDeut
Beginner

My program uses a pool of switchable video decoders. So I do a lot of these calls:

MFXVideoDECODE_Init (..)
  MFXVideoDECODE_DecodeFrameAsync (..)
  MFXVideoDECODE_Close (..)

Running in software mode, everything is fine. Running with MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY init flag will result in a lost of about 30 MB per Init/Close call. This occurs only when decoding frame data. Just initializing and closing decoder seems to produce no leak.

I work with driver 15.36.18.64.4156 on HD4600 and decode AVC streams (problem does not depend on specific AVC material).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Stephan,

Are you able to reproduce the issue using out of the box sample_decode? For example, if you run the sample_decode application for a long time, do you see the leak using HW implementation?

Can you please provide the system details - version of Media Server Studio, (I assume you are working on Windows), and a reproducer for us to debug the issue?

Thanks.

Sravanthi

0 Kudos
SDeut
Beginner

Thank you for feedback. It's not easily reproducible with standard samples, since it would require a number of open/close cycles.

However I already got a hint, that this is probably an issue in hardware driver, a fix will be developed.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the response. Once you do find the issue/fix, it would be good if you could update us on what worked and what was the wrokaround (feel free to use the "Send Author a Message" feature on the thread).

0 Kudos