Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Hardware Acceleration on HP Z800

Trevor_H_
Beginner

I have an HP Z800 computer with 2 xeon X5660 processors and a Quatro 5000 graphics card. It uses 2 Intel 5520 chips. Please can you tell me if there is a way use hardware acceleration with the Intel media SDK. For instance is there a pci graphics card or an acceleration card I can add.

Thanks Trevor

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Are you asking about the utilization of Nvidia Quadro 5000 GPU by Intel Media SDK?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Here is the answer provided by Nina Kurina(Intel) the only difference is that forum member is using gaming GPU.

>>>In this set up you will be able to use hardware decoding/encoding with Media SDK just fine. The only detail you need to care of is to request the appropriate implementation type of Media SDK library in MFXInit call. For example you can use MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY (Find the platform-specific implementation on any display adapter including the default display adapter).For more detail please check out MFXImpl enumerator in the Media SDK reference manual (the file mediasdk_man.pdf under \doc). 
Best regards, Nina>>>

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/312125

0 Kudos
Trevor_H_
Beginner

As far as I can tell my computer does not have any Intel GPU. I don't think Intel Media SDK supports Nvidias CUDA. There is talk of using opencl but it seems this is only supported on very expensive cards. Is there a way to add an intel gpu on a pci card.

0 Kudos
Trevor_H_
Beginner

Actually Nidvia Quadro supports opencl. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get Intel Media SDK use opencl.

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Trevor,

Intel Media SDK only supports HW acceleration on Intel devices, so Nvidia or AMD discrete cards are not supported.

Also, Media SDK does not use OpenCL internally. It uses fixed function codec hardware blocks to ensure high performance and low power. That said, developers have the option to efficiently pipeline Media SDK components (such as encode and/or decode) with custom OpenCL processing on the Intel processor graphics device.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>> I don't think Intel Media SDK supports Nvidias CUDA>>>

No Intel Media SDK  does not support CUDA.

>>> There is talk of using opencl but it seems this is only supported on very expensive cards. Is there a way to add an intel gpu on a pci card.>>>

For GPGPU computing you can use either Intel Xeon Phi or Nvidia Quadro 5000.I have never heard about Intel discrete GPUs with pci or agp or pci-express interface.

0 Kudos