Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Hardware support!

Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Dear Team,

Does the below configuration supports Intel Media server studio 2017 

Xeon E3-1230v6 
Xeon E3-1245v5
Xeon E3-1270v6
Xeon E3-1270v6

With C236 Chipset

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Picking hardware can be tricky.  You should look for at least 3 things:

• Processor generation:  The release notes state that Intel® Xeon® E3 1200 v4 Family with C226 chipset + Intel® Xeon® E3 1200 and E3 1500 v5 Family with C236 chipset are supported.  These correspond to Broadwell (v4) and Skylake (v5) processor architectures.  Unfortunately, Kabylake (v6) is not supported by Media Server Studio.
  •  
  • Processor graphics: check ark.intel.com.  You should see HD Graphics, Iris Pro, etc.  "None" here indicates the processor is CPU only, no GPU.
  • Chipset: For Xeon you need the specific chipset listed with the processor family in the system requirements section.  However, many factors beyond chipset such as motherboard design and BIOS can affect if you can access GPU capabilities.  As the release notes states "Having a C226/C236 chipset is necessary but not sufficient. Make sure to consult with specific platform or board vendor regarding processor graphics being supported."

So, going down your list:

Xeon E3-1230v6:  v6 and no GPU. No HW acceleration.
Xeon E3-1245v5:  with c226 it may work, but you should contact your OEM.
Xeon E3-1270v6:  v6 and no GPU.  No HW acceleration.
Xeon E3-1270v6: v6 and no GPU. No HW acceleration

By the way, we keep a list of platforms known to work here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for the reply

Do you have any specific recommended processor model which works with hardware acceleration since its difficult to find the exact system which supports we have tried 2 machines which is not supporting

please let me know any specific model no which you recommended

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

We do have our list here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details

Known good platforms are under "Known OEM/ODM Functional Platforms".  Beyond that, you may need to work with your OEM directly to find a model that will work for you. 

0 Kudos
Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Hi Jeffrey,

Getting those servers listed getting very difficult to find with OEM, do you any specific models from OEM Dell and HP

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos