Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Haswell Quicksync lookahead?

Michael_Schmidt
Beginner

http://newsroom.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/3880-102-1-6896/WP-HD-Graphics-4200.pdf

I'm curious about the lookahead feature from Haswell. Is that a driver feature or it requires encoder integration for existing software? What encoder did Intel use in their comparison? It's not clear to me if I can use let's say MediaEspresso and lookahead is enabled or not.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi again Michael,

Regarding the quality discrepancy between QCP and LA you reported. Our encoder experts have explored this further and acknowledge that LA result in lower quality vs. CQP for this content, partially due to LA's obligation to maintain a local bitrate. 

We do not have any immediate plans to address this specific scenario by changes to LA. But we will explore possible ways of improving future revisions of LA to handle this content and others better.

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
Cao_j_
Beginner

Recently I use sample_encode. exe has carried on the test of LookAhead, I downloaded the latest Intel SDK, and tested on the latest machinery, CPU: i7-4770, Os: Windows 7, Graphics Devices: HD 4600 Graphics, but I found that using the LookAhead get worse picture quality than without using LookAhead,the following is my command line arguments:

Use LookAhead:sample_encode.exe h264 -i C:\yuv.yuv -o C:\test_la.264 -w 720 -h 576 -hw -d3d -f 25 -b 1000 -u quality -la -lad 30 

not use LookAhead:sample_encode.exe h264 -i C:\yuv.yuv -o C:\test.264 -w 720 -h 576 -hw -d3d -f 25 -b 1000 -u quality 

the yuv.yuv is 720*576

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Cao,

Can you please share with us the graphics driver version you are using.

Also, if possible, please share your raw input YUV file since the quality looks the be dependent on content in your case,

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
Cao_j_
Beginner

Hi Petter,

First of all, thank you for your reply,my graphics driver is 15.31.17.64.3257, and the color of the YUV file is YUV420, width is 720 * 576, the original rate is 8000,I intercepted three images as the result of the experiment.And second ,i want to know that how to get better quality In the hardware encoding mode. 

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Cao,

There is a more recent driver available from some sources that have known issues with LA, but the driver you are using is good for LA usages. 

Your input content seems to be from a deinterlaced source with lots of jagged artifacts. It may be that the LA algorithm has some trouble with such content. Again, if you can please share the exact raw data (or part it) it would help us reproduce on our side.

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
Cao_j_
Beginner

Hi Petter,

This is the part of YUV file.

0 Kudos
Cao_j_
Beginner

Hi Petter,

The Yuv file you  can download frow here  http://yunpan.cn/QbiCJC9PyVraf