Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

High CPU usage with latest 3345 Graphic drivers update

Daniel_E-B
Beginner

Hi,

I recently updated my drivers from version 3257 to 3345 and noticed an important increase in the CPU usage of my system.

I have an 8 cores system and one of those cores goes up to more than 85% usage, by doing nothing! With version 3257, it was around 3%!

Here is the log from sys_analyzer containing the informations of my system:

Graphics Devices:
        Name                                         Version             State
        Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600                    10.18.10.3345       Active

System info:
        CPU:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
        Arch:   64-bit

Any idea on what could be the cause? Performance is essential for us, which makes the behaviour of the 3345 version disturbing.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel,

seems like the issue is somehow related to falling back on SW execution instead of offloading to HW?

Can you please verify if that is the case. And if so what part is not being executed on HW.

Please also share some more details about your pipeline (utilized components: decode, encode, VPP etc.).

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Daniel_E-B
Beginner

Hi Petter,

The fact is that I'm not doing anything on the machine: no encoding, no decoding, no internet, nothing. Just by having the 3345 drivers installed I have the high CPU usage.

In the resource manager I can see that the process taking the most place is the System Interrupts.

This behaviour is not observed with the 3257 drivers.

I've attached a screenshot of the resource manager with the different CPUs in my machine. It shows that CPU 0 is very high.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel,

Ok, thanks for explaining the exact details and scenario.

Based on your description the issue is not related to Media SDK, but instead with the core behavior of the Intel graphics driver or any OS components that depend on it.

To report issues and to get support I suggest posting your observations on the following forum:
https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/graphics

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Wolfgang_H_
Beginner

Hi!

It's a definitive bug in the driver...

I installed a new system with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H newest bios, Intel Core i7-4770).

CPU-Usage abolutely flatlined.... then the first and only thing i installed was the 3345-Driver.

Suddenly an increase on Core0 to 60-80% Usage, permanently! Sluggish System behaviour.

Processmonitor => Usage comes from interrupts/dpc

Uninstalled driver.... immediately flatlined again.

Installed older driver.... still flatlining and everything running smoothly.

0 Kudos
Michael_Schmidt
Beginner

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP and i5-4670K. I suffered from a CPU interrupt usage as well. The CPU usage was not as high (15% or so). The odd thing is that driver 3257 gave me the troubles and it has been resolved in driver 15.33.6.64.3325 and newer because I reported to Intel. The cause was a conflict with Intel 8 Series USB EHCI 8C2D. You can find some screenshots in this link: https://communities.intel.com/message/207811#207811

Maybe it is USB related for you as well. You should report it in the graphics forum. You could disable EHCI 8C2D and see if the usage is gone.

0 Kudos
Daniel_E-B
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas Michael. I've disabled the EHCI 8C2D driver and still had the bug.

I've also posted the issue in the graphics forum.

Here's the link:

http://communities.intel.com/message/216764#216764

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Processmonitor => Usage comes from interrupts/dpc>>>

Can you post the screenshot?You can have either interrupt storm or DPC draining.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Peter

Can you install Xperf and run CPU load analysis?High resolution of Xperf can pinpoint the problem up to function granularity.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Daniel

In uploaded screenshot you did not check the Interrupts settings so it is unclear what is loading CPU so intensively. On the other hand because it is CPU 0 which usually services ISR and DPC by default it could be a large amount of outstanding Interrupts which are overloading that CPU.

0 Kudos