Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How can dynamicly adjust ICQQuality

weibin_m_
Beginner

We use ICQ to encode h264 video, we want to dynamicly adjust icqquality. I set icqquality number from 12 to 51 alternately by invoke MFXVideoENCODE_Reset. The return value is MFX_ERR_NONE.  This return value mean "the function completed successfully", but video quality has not change.  How can I dynamicly adjust ICQQuality?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi weibin,

At this point of time, we cannot dynamically adjust ICQQuality. ICQ is an experimental method  bit rate control method. Is there any special requirement of changing the quality btw frames? May be if you can explain the use, I will might be able to suggest some other method. Also just for my knowledge, I was wondering how are you measuring quality to check the difference between two frames?

Thanks,
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
weibin_m_
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

We want to achieve multi-programs statistical multiplexing encoding like attachment. So, frame to frame bitrate control was needed.

We know VBR or Constant quality method maybe usable. But we preffer ICQ's more encoding gain for fast movment scene.

Waitting for your reply!

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee
Hi weibin, Thank you for telling us the use case, seems like you want to dynamically change the bit rate. For this use case, Constant QP method is suggested and also explained in the Media SDK Manual Pg 161 - under Appendix C: Streaming and Video Conferencing Features. If you prefer to use ICQ method because of the quality concern, then i believe the only way to dynamically adjust ICQQuality param is to reset the encoder. Thanks, -Surbhi
0 Kudos