Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How does AVBR mode works?

Joyah
Beginner
Hi there,
I would like to ask that how does the RateControlMethod "AVBR" (Average Variable BitRate) mode work?
What's the difference of feature and algorithmbetween the " AVBR"and "VBR"(or "CQP")?
If I have multiple input bitstream, is there any way to make the "AVBR" mode to consider the dependency of them and try to adjust the dependency as response?

Thanks and regards,
Joyah
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Joyah,
Here is a description of AVBR from MSDK reference manual:

Average variable bitrate control (AVBR) algorithm. The algorithm focuses on overall encoding quality while meeting the specified bitrate, TargetKbps, within the accuracy range Accuracy, after a Convergence period. This method does not follow HRD and the instant bitrate is not capped or padded.

The Accuracy value is specified in the unit of tenth of percent.

The Convergence value is specified in the unit of 100 frames.

The TargetKbps value is specified in the unit of 1000 bits per second.

So basically the only difference with VBR is lack of HRD conformance.

Sorry, I don't understand the question about multiple bitstreams, can you explain in more details?

Regards,
Nina
0 Kudos