Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

How to Use Intel device in the presence of Nvidia display card.

Venkatesh_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to create a H.264 video on the fly (by encoding) from RGB4 frames sent by Desktop Duplication API. This works fine for SW encoding. but I am unable to get it working with HW encoding. My system has 2 graphics cards - Nvidia Quadro K4000 and Intel I7-4700EQ with HD Graphics 4600.I need the Nvidia for another application that runs on the system simultaneously when the encoding is happening and this happens to be the active card which is used for display. Also i use 2 monitors.

can anyone help me how i can utilize the Intel graphics card for encoding in the presence of the Nvidia one?

I have attached the analyser output and also the trace when using MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY option.

i have used the simple_6_encode_vmem_vpp_preproc sample with some modifications. I use Windows 10 and SDK version media_sdk_6.0.0.349

Thanks in advance,

Venkatesh

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Venkatesh,

I want to know more about your application.

Do you want to HW encoding happens in I7-4700EQ with HD Graphics 4600, and encoding display windows shows on Nvidia one ?

Does HW encode working for you if you disable Nvidia graphic card in BIOS ?

Are your two monitors all connected to Nvidia graphic card ?

Thanks

Zachary

0 Kudos
Venkatesh_S_
Beginner

Hi Zachary,

Thank you very much for responding quickly!

Both my monitors are connected to NVidia card. Yes, I want to perform encoding on the intel graphics when the display is working on Nvidia.

Also, when i disable the NVidia card, the HW encoding works.

I did some more experiments and here is what i found:

I connected a VGA cable from one of the monitors to the intel graphics output. Now, in the Display Settings of Windows, I see that it shows 3 monitors (and my mouse goes invisible when I move it to the so called '3rd monitor'). surprisingly, the HW encoding starts to work! 

Is this how this is supposed to be? I mean, is there a way I can simulate that 3rd monitor without having it detected by windows so that my mouse pointer doesn't go missing? (some way to simulate the 3rd monitor I suppose?)

Thanks,

Venkatesh

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Venkatesh,

Maybe you should do some coding on Multiple Monitor Support.  Hope following URL can provide some help to you.

http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0697/monitor/monitor.aspx

Multiple Monitor API usage should be found in MSDN.  

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos