Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to activate Intel HD Graphics

藤田_恵_
Beginner

Hi,

I cannot use MediaServerStudio on CentOS7 due to accelarator problem.

The machine I'm using has another accelerator,
and therefore Intel HD graphics isn't listed by the lspci command.

[lspci output]
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3 Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C222 Series Chipset Family Server Essential SKU LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
03:00.0 PCI bridge: Renesas Technology Corp. SH7757 PCIe Switch [PS]
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Renesas Technology Corp. SH7757 PCIe Switch [PS]
04:01.0 PCI bridge: Renesas Technology Corp. SH7757 PCIe Switch [PS]
05:00.0 PCI bridge: Renesas Technology Corp. SH7757 PCIe-PCI Bridge [PPB]
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2
07:00.0 RAM memory: Renesas Technology Corp. SH7757 PCIe End-Point [PBI]

[Environment]
Server: Dell PowerEdge R220
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1286 v3 @ 3.70GHz

MediaServerStudio: MediaServerStudioEssentials2015R3

Please advise me about a solution.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello there - The issue you are seeing can be due to multiple reasons (BIOS. motherboard options etc). Can you please check the following:

- Do you have a monitor connected to the system? When you do, does the PCI VGA iGfx show up?

- Does your system have C226 chipset? This is a hard requirement (see release notes).

- If your system has the C226 chipset, may be the BIOS options need to be modified to see the integrated graphics. Can you check if you can enable that from BIOS options?

- If you cannot see the integrated graphics option in the BIOS setting, it is likely that the motherboard you have has fused it or removed the connection. You should contact the OEM you bought the system from to ensure why this is the case.

Please let me know what worked for you.

0 Kudos
藤田_恵_
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment.

> - Do you have a monitor connected to the system? When you do, does the PCI VGA iGfx show up?
This server has two VGA ports(front:1, rear:1).
But both ports are connected to Matrox accelarator.

> - Does your system have C226 chipset? This is a hard requirement (see release notes).
Accrding to the lspci command, it seems that this system has C220 family chipset.

> - If your system has the C226 chipset, may be the BIOS options need to be modified to see 
>   the integrated graphics. Can you check if you can enable that from BIOS options?
> - If you cannot see the integrated graphics option in the BIOS setting, it is likely that
>   the motherboard you have has fused it or removed the connection. 
>   You should contact the OEM you bought the system from to ensure why this is the case
I confirmed BIOS settings again.
Although there is 'Embedded Video Controller' option in 'Integrated Devices' menu, 
this option is not variable and I cannot change it into disable.

And when I asked Dell's support center, the engineer said this machine supports Matrox accelarator only.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello there - "And when I asked Dell's support center, the engineer said this machine supports Matrox accelarator only."  -> I understand this means the intel integrated graphics is not going to recognized by your platform, Unfortunately, this is a hard requirement for MSDK to work, and without this, the product will not work as you desire. If you have any other system which can recognize iGFX, MSDK will work.

0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I

There are a a number of Desktop chipsets, for example, H87, that support Quick Sync. But note, the Media Server Studio probably only officially supports C226/Xeon. [Although you may fine some success with it on Desktop CPUs/chipsets]. I am not an Intel rep.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi there -

Based on my response earlier - "- Does your system have C226 chipset? This is a hard requirement (see release notes)."

I wanted to ensure your chipset was in fact C226, so I had a chat with Dell and looks like the system you have has the Intel C222 chipset. The Media SDK does not support this chipset - C226 is a hard requirement and we mention it in the release notes and supported systems. We understand it is not always trivial to find such information (chipset) - hope you can still continue your Media SDK work on a supported platform.

0 Kudos
藤田_恵_
Beginner

Hi, 

Thank you very much for your answer and investigation.

When I choose a system from now on, I'd like to take into account not only CPU&GPU(gen, grade) but also Chipset.

I could use Media Server Studio well before, when I tried on Core i7-4790(HD Graphics 4600, QQ85 Express Chipset).
Are there supported Chipset each processor?  Please advise me about combinations.

[lspci's output on Core i7-4790]
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family KT Controller (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Q85 Express LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello there, We have these details in our Release Notes "System Requirements" section, That should give you a good understanding of our HW requirements. I have pasted it below as well (from https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/ac/00/media_server_studio_professional_release_notes_linux.pdf):

System Requirements Hardware The following processor models are supported:  Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-128x v3 with Intel C226 Chipset: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1284 v3 Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1285 v3 Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1285L v3 Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1286 v3 Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1286L v3  4 th Generation Intel Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics, Intel Iris Graphics or Intel HD Graphics 4200+ Series (chipset compatibility is usually not an issue for Core™ processors.) 

For the system you mention above, I see intel integrated gfx being recognized (PCI 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller) - you should be able to use this system for the Media work.

0 Kudos