Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to enable intel GPU on ASUS motherboard?

acc3141
Beginner

Possibly a dumb question... I have developed an H264 decoder using the Media SDK. Now I'm trying to run it on other machines such as an ASUS P8P67 motherboard with i5 running Window 10. This machine has no onboard graphics - just an add-in Radeon board. I had hoped (and expected) to use the intel GPU to accelerate the H264 decoding. But the intel GPU does not show up. I don't see anything in BIOS about it and the intel graphics drivers wont install ('does not meet minimum requirements'). Is there any way to leverage the intel GPU on a machine without intel graphics? Or did I just waste a month of my time leaning this toolkit?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stav_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since you do not have an Intel GPU your platform if wouldn;t be possible to use the intel GPU advantages. however, you can still use the CPU to decode by configuring SW only.

0 Kudos
Artem_S_Intel
Employee

Based on  your board board spec https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67/specifications/

it has P67 chipset that doesn't support integrated graphics.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52810/Intel-P67-Express-Chipset

0 Kudos
acc3141
Beginner

OK thanks - that's what I was beginning to suspect. I had originally thought (apparently incorrectly) that the GPU was actually integrated into the i5 chip itself and might therefore be available even if the motherboard didn't actually use it. Or perhaps its in there but unusable without the help of the external chipset. But anyway it looks like the intel media SDK is far less useful than I had hoped....

0 Kudos
Artem_S_Intel
Employee

Chipset makes big difference in terms of graphics support especially for such old systems. So far you still can use SW implementation of Media SDK decoding as Stav suggested.

0 Kudos