Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to encode two 4K streams into 3D 4K TV & BluRay native playback (w/out SBS)

Imran_A_1
Beginner

Hello all. I am sure someone here can guide me on how to do this best.

I am unable to tell from your 2015 Media Kit pages if you have a solution enabling encoding TWO 4K video streams into a single 4K 3D file playable on a 3D 4K BluRay player and/or 3D 4K/UHD TV natively (that is without using side-by-side, etc.).

Thank you for your help in advance.

IMRAN.TV

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Imran,

Can you please share more details on your use case along with platform target (server/client),OS (Windows/linux) and gen processor etc.? So, we can provide our best recommendation. In general, mediasdk operates on elementary video streams and supports various video pre- processing operations with encoding, decoding, trancoding etc. MediaSDK is also platform dependent and with latest 6th gen processor (skylake) supports following codecs (H.265, H.264,MPEG-2 etc.) with 3D sterescopic support for encoding along with playready 3.0 (from win10 HW accelerated) supporting 4K/UHD content for BluRay. Check this article which provides information on tools to choose depending on platform/target and usage: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/accelerating-media-processing-which-tool-do-i-use-when. ;

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Imran_A_1
Beginner

Thank you so much for your reply. I must have missed the notification email and just came here manually to check for a response.

I am a Mac user but also have the top of the line ASUS 3D laptop and monitor, so a Windows solution is fine. I checked the link you sent and the word 3D does not appear anywhere on it. Please advise how to go about doing this:

Ideally I would be able to edit the two 4K video streams in Adobe Premiere (Windows or Mac) which have a 3D supporting plug in. (In anticipation of most 3D tools to be Windows based I do my 3D work on Windoze.)

I can edit my 4K videos in that program for titling, transitions, music, etc. But the export media function does not offer the ability to burn an MVC 3D BluRay disc or ideally what I need, the ability to burn a BluRay 3D disk with 4K 3D media on it so that a standard 4K 3D BluRay player (or a 4K 3D TV eg. Sharp) can play the properly encoded file to play at full 4K in 3D. 

Right now in my current tools I can only save the file as a "Side By Side" which means the two 4K streams would be squished into two half width images side by side which many 3D TVs can decode into 3D, but the overall effect loses the 4K resolution.

So I am looking for a workflow so that I can either do editing of the two 4K streams in something like Adobe, and then hand off to Media Kit to encode the file(s) and burn a 4K 3D BluRay disk or appropriate MVC or HEVC type file.... OR some other workflow that uses Media Kit prior to Premiere editing. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Imran, 

Thank you for providing more background on the use case and the workflow. As, your initial post did not provide much details on your workflow, link above provides available tools for media processing. But, from your description you are looking for tool with "ability to burn an MVC 3D BluRay disc or ideally what I need, the ability to burn a BluRay 3D disk with 4K 3D media on it so that a standard 4K 3D BluRay player (or a 4K 3D TV eg. Sharp) can play the properly encoded file to play at full 4K in 3D" . In this case, mediasdk works are very low level and to support your use case I would suggest looking at link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html, which includes quick sync enabled applications and provides support for your scenario, specifically CyberLink PowerDirector* application which includes QuickSync (HW acceleration) enabled along with support for MVC 3D- video encoding and tools for 3D bluray disk burning ( PD14 specs:http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate-suite/spec_en_US.html). Hope this is the information you are looking for. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos