Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to encoding a raw video to N streams using EXT LA BRC

david123456
Beginner

Hi,

We want to encode a raw video (from capture card) to N streams using EXT LA BRC for web use.  Only see multi-transcode sample tell us how to transcode one stream to N streams. Could you give us a multi-encode sample?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

Currently, we have no multi-encode sample. You can base on MSDK sample_encode create your application.

If you want to test multi-encode, you can also start multiple sample_encode process for test.

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Wei_F_
Beginner

I also came across to this problem. I was hope to put raw video data to the decoded surfaces, but found that in the original demo the decoded surfaces was empty, the data points are zero. So I wonder if I found the wrong place? Could you please tell me where did the multi-encode sample put the decoded data. Thank you.

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Our application is one to N encode scenario. Sample_encode dosn't deal with ext_LA. Start multiple sample_encode may excute LA multiple times. It is low efficiency.

See Mediasdk-man.pdf page146 as follow:

Standalone LA by ENC class of functions is executed only once for input bitstream in contrast to the integrated LA where LA is executed for each of output streams. 

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi Zachary,

Could you give me a sample_encode with ext_la BRC or tel me how to add ext_la BRC in sample_encode?

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

sample_encode support Look Ahead MFX_RATECONTROL_LA  for H264, you can try following command line

#./sample_encode h264  -hw -i water.yuv -o water-la-out.h264 -w 720 -h 480 -la -lad 20

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi Zachary,

Yes,  sample_encode support Look Ahead MFX_RATECONTROL_LA.

But we want LA_EXT for 1:N scenario, not LA.

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi intel,

Who can help me?

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Merge some code from sample_multi_trancode to sample_encode, I think is mfxExtLAControl a key structure.

$ find -type f | xargs grep -e m_ExtLAControl -n
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/include/pipeline_transcode.h:510: mfxExtLAControl m_ExtLAControl;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:135: MSDK_ZERO_MEMORY(m_ExtLAControl);
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1840: mfxU16 num_resolutions = m_ExtLAControl.NumOutStream;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1842: sizeof(mfxLAFrameInfo)*num_resolutions*m_ExtLAControl.LookAheadDepth;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1860: pExtBuffer->NumAlloc = num_resolutions*m_ExtLAControl.LookAheadDepth;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1921: MSDK_ZERO_MEMORY(m_ExtLAControl);
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1922: m_ExtLAControl.Header.BufferId = MFX_EXTBUFF_LOOKAHEAD_CTRL;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1923: m_ExtLAControl.Header.BufferSz = sizeof(m_ExtLAControl);
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1924: m_ExtLAControl.LookAheadDepth = pInParams->nLADepth? pInParams->nLADepth : 40;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1925: m_ExtLAControl.NumOutStream = 0;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1926: m_ExtLAControl.BPyramid = (mfxU16)(pInParams->bEnableBPyramid ? MFX_CODINGOPTION_ON : MFX_CODINGOPTION_OFF);
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1940: m_PreEncExtParams.push_back((mfxExtBuffer *)&m_ExtLAControl);
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1954: mfxU32 num = m_ExtLAControl.NumOutStream;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1958: if (m_ExtLAControl.OutStream.Width == width && m_ExtLAControl.OutStream.Height == height)
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1961: MSDK_CHECK_RESULT((sizeof(m_ExtLAControl.OutStream) / sizeof(m_ExtLAControl.OutStream[0])),num + 1 , MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED);
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1962: m_ExtLAControl.OutStream[num].Width = width;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1963: m_ExtLAControl.OutStream[num].Height = height;
./samples/sample_multi_transcode/src/pipeline_transcode.cpp:1964: m_ExtLAControl.NumOutStream = (mfxU16)num + 1;

hope it helpful.

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos