Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to realize the screen capture for extended screen by VGA using MSDK

lin_z_
Beginner

Dear Sir

I want to capure the screen extened by the VGA cable connected my laptop.

I use the sample code provided by Intel, and use the sample of decode.When I use the parameter of MFX_CODEC_CAPTURE as my input videotype.

I have sucessfuly to get the screen capture of the laptop main screen, but I have test a lot also failed to capture the extend screen which is connected the laptop by VGA cable.

Although I have changed the parameter of screen-width and screen-height to cover that extend screen, finally that extend area is still black in decode YUV result.

Can you help me out?

thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Lin z.

I am also looking for this feature from long time, but as much I have explored, IMSDK doesn't support capture of secondary/extended screen. Don't know why.

I had one interesting observation last time that, if you set your extended screen as primary display by using Intel Graphics card manager (NOT by using Windows control panel setting), then plugin will start capturing this new primary screen rect (which was extended screen earlier). 

So plugin is able to access all screen content (rect) internally but somehow its exposing to user only the one screen content.

I am expecting from Intel to provide this support as early as they can.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Lin z.

I am also looking for this feature from long time, but as much I have explored, IMSDK doesn't support capture of secondary/extended screen. Don't know why.

I had one interesting observation last time that, if you set your extended screen as primary display by using Intel Graphics card manager (NOT by using Windows control panel setting), then plugin will start capturing this new primary screen rect (which was extended screen earlier). 

So plugin is able to access all screen content (rect) internally but somehow its exposing to user only the one screen content.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
lin_z_
Beginner

Hi,Ramashankar

I have done this task by other method.Frankly speaking, finally I use GDI and FFMPEG to decode the all screen captrued, then encode this YUV frame by the MSDK encoder. It works very well.

But I also expect Intel to provide this support as they can.

Thanks

Ramashankar wrote:

Hi Lin z.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Lin,

Yes, as an alternative to Intel hw accelerated screen capture, you can use Microsoft's GDI or Desktop Duplication APIs for capturing primary and extended screens both. Desktop Duplication APIs are faster but they are available from Windows 8 onward only.

Thanks,

0 Kudos