Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to use intel media sdk with dual intel processor workstation

Paul_W_2
Beginner

Hi,

We are planning to get a dual processor dell workstation running windows 8.1. How will intel media sdk work with such dual intel processor system in terms of hardware encoding. Can we select which intel HD chip to use or is it automatically optimised to use both?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

can you share more details on the System you are going to use. I need processor and chipset Information. You can also just point me to the system on the web.

Thanks,

Bjoern

0 Kudos
Paul_W_2
Beginner

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for the follow up. Can you advise on the following which uses Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 v2http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t5610-workstation/pd

And also whether that family of processors can use hardware acceleration. 

0 Kudos
Paul_W_2
Beginner

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for the follow up. Can you advise on the following which uses Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 v2http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t5610-workstation/pd

And also whether that family of processors can use hardware acceleration. 

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

The Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2600 v2 series does not come with an integrated graphics device. Therefor you will not get any video encoder/decoder HW acceleration. But the Encoder/Decoder will run in software, optimized for the underlying processor HW architecture. 

The Intel® Xeon® processors supporting media HW acceleration are the following ones:

• E3-128*v3 (e.g. E3-1285v3, E3-1286v3)

• E3-128*Lv3 (e.g. E3-1284Lv3, E3-1285Lv3, E3-1286Lv3)

Furthermore the c226 chipset is required.

Let me know if this answer is of help.

Best,
Bjoern

0 Kudos
Paul_W_2
Beginner

Hi Bjoern,

Ok. For the software encoding/decoding, how does intel media sdk optimize for dual processors. Have anyone tried this out before? Is it automatic or is there some APIs to call? This is crucial because it affects our decision to get dual processor if the sdk don't work on both dual processors. =)

Edit: If I choose the processors which you have mentioned in a dual processor set up, will HW acceleration work on dual processors too?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

How does Intel media SDK optimize for dual processors?
Intel is mainly focusing on HW accelerated codecs and is using the SW implementation for reference and to develop HW features. For best performance you better watch out for a HW accelerated solution.

Will HW acceleration work on dual processors too?
The CPUs mentioned are typically used on a server board (different kinds of) with one Xeon processor socket. Depending on the HW provider they might also offer multi node solutions where multiple acceleration boards (server cartridge) are packed in one bigger system (e.g. HP). You will also find HW solutions based on PCI Express boards (e.g. Artesyn) which can be used in a server or your workstation.

Let me share a small list of suggested HW platforms proved to be working.
• Intel® Server Board S1200V3RPM
• Supermicro* X10SLH-F, X10SAE, X10SAT server boards
• Kontron* SYMKLOUD* MS2900 Media
• Quanta* S910-X31E
• HP* Moonshot* ProLiant* m710 Server Cartridge
• Artesyn* SharpStreamer* PCIE-7207

There are more solutions out, so you just might take this as a starting point. For more details please contact the specific HW vendor directly.

Best,
Bjoern

0 Kudos
Kian_Teck_L_
Beginner

Hi Bjoern,

As you mentioned the following Xeon processors are supported for media HW acceleration. I would like to know what is the roadmap for intel xeon processor to continue supporting? it seem like only a limited xeon processor is supporting it. Looking forward, will i have difficulty of getting the supported Xeon processor if i used media HW acceleration?

"The Intel® Xeon® processors supporting media HW acceleration are the following ones:

E3-128*v3 (e.g. E3-1285v3, E3-1286v3)

E3-128*Lv3 (e.g. E3-1284Lv3, E3-1285Lv3, E3-1286Lv3)

Furthermore the c226 chipset is required."

The reason why i choice xeon processor is the ECC support. Is there any other processor that can fulfill ECC and media HW acceleration other than Xeon class?

Regards

Kian Teck

0 Kudos