Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

How to use the Media SDK Tracer on Linux ?

Robby_S
New Contributor I

Greetings, I have a question on how to use the Media SDK Tracer on Linux. All the documents and Q/A's I found so far seem to be for the Windows version.

My platform is MSS SDK 2015R6 on CentOS 7.1 (kernel-3.10.0-229.1.2.39163.MSSr4.el7.centos.x86_64) . I tried to follow the file /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/README, like this:

1) cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64

2) rm libmfxhw64.so

3) ln -s /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/libmfx-tracer.so libmfxhw64.so

4) cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer

5) ./mfx-tracer-config core.type file core.log  /myplace/mfxtracer.log

6) cd /myplace

7) make clean; make; 

8) ./my_code

I was expecting to see mfxtracer.log generated in the directory /myplace, but I didn't see it. I repeated the steps above, using the relative path in 3). Still no log file was generated.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Robby

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Robby, 

So I am able to successfully generate the tracer file with existing tracer. I did the experiment on a Broadwell system and same mechanism will work on the rest of supported hardware as well. I am following the readme present in tracer tool with small changes according to the latest version and here is the step by step procedure - 

Step1

cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/
rm libmfxhw64.so
mv libmfxhw64-p.so.1.16 libmfxhw64-p-REAL.so.1.16

Step 2-  
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Step3
cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/
ln -s libmfx-tracer.so libmfxhw64.so

Step4 – 
/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config --default            
/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config core.type file

/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config core.log ~/mfxtracer.log
/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config core.lib /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/libmfxhw64-p-REAL.so.1.16

Step5 - 
Run the sample application and you will see the output in the folder with above steps.
./sample_decode_drm h264 -i content/test_stream.264 -o out

Hope this will help you! If not then please let me know your exact configuration, I can try on that and we can check if the libraries are present and linkers are set properly on your system. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Hi, could someone help me with this question? Without the tracer, I have to put a lot of msdk_printf() in my code to debug, which is messy, insufficient, and (I believe) not thread-safe. Thanks!

-Robby

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Robby, 

Similar issue got reported by another customer as well and we have a CQ open for it. 
We don't have workaround for this right, will get back to you as soon as I have some information. 
For us to to debug- Are you seeing this for particular application because issue got reported only when doing multiple transcode and work in all another scenario. 

Thanks,
Surbhi 

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Hi Surbhi, thanks for telling me that someone else also reported the problem with the tracer. However, in my case, it does not work at all. I tried running the sample_decode as well as my own code. None generated the tracer log file. Do I need to build the code with some specific options?

-Robby

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Robby, 

So I am able to successfully generate the tracer file with existing tracer. I did the experiment on a Broadwell system and same mechanism will work on the rest of supported hardware as well. I am following the readme present in tracer tool with small changes according to the latest version and here is the step by step procedure - 

Step1

cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/
rm libmfxhw64.so
mv libmfxhw64-p.so.1.16 libmfxhw64-p-REAL.so.1.16

Step 2-  
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Step3
cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/
ln -s libmfx-tracer.so libmfxhw64.so

Step4 – 
/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config --default            
/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config core.type file

/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config core.log ~/mfxtracer.log
/opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/tracer/mfx-tracer-config core.lib /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/libmfxhw64-p-REAL.so.1.16

Step5 - 
Run the sample application and you will see the output in the folder with above steps.
./sample_decode_drm h264 -i content/test_stream.264 -o out

Hope this will help you! If not then please let me know your exact configuration, I can try on that and we can check if the libraries are present and linkers are set properly on your system. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Hi Surbhi, thanks for the feedback. Comparing your steps with mine, I can see that I did not set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. That should be the cause.

I'll test with your steps, and if they work, I'll update here.

[ I probably sub-consciously neglected LD_LIBRARY_PATH as I've heard some negative comments about it. Guess I might have just proven those points. ;-)  ]

Update:

Following the steps you listed, I was able to generate the tracer log file. Thanks!

0 Kudos