Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

I have some troubles with media sdk for linux

Mach_Lee
Beginner

Hi,

I have install the Media SDK for Linux on Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit raring which working on G1610.

This is my system configurations and executions.

• xserver-xorg-video-intel                  2:2.21.6-0ubuntu4.1                    amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
  • libva-intel-vaapi-driver                  1.0.17-1                               all          VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family (transitional package)
  • linux kernel is 3.8.0-30-generic #44-Ubuntu
  • $> echo $MFX_HOME    --> /opt/intel/mediasdk
  • $> cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-intel-mediasdk.conf       -->   /opt/intel/mediasdk/bin/x64
  • $> lspci -nn | grep -i vga    --> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0152] (rev 09)
  • $> ls -al /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/8086/0152/

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8508928 9월 13 12:14 libmfxhw64-p.so.1.6
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 9월 13 12:14 libmfxhw64.so -> libmfxhw64-p.so.1.6

• $> /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64/sample_decode_x11 h264 -hw -vaapi -i ~/Videos/b5000g30.h264 -o ~/Videos/video.yuv    -->  Illegal instruction (core dumped)

I can't run sample binaries.Please give me any hints or help.Thank you.
Regards.

Mach

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mach_Lee
Beginner

I've got strace result attached on this post.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The documentation for Media SDK for Linux Servers is still a work in progress. We're working on improving it. In the meantime, here is a quick summary of what you'll need to get started.

Supported configurations:

Processors:
* 3rd and 4th generation Core(TM)
* Xeon E3-1285 V3/E3-1285L V3
(Please note: Celeron is not on this list. There are known hardware limitations and this processor is unvalidated.)

Operating Systems:
* SUSE* Linux* Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 3
* Ubuntu* 12.04 server (any release, currently 12.04.3)
- LTS Kernel 3.2.0-41 (for 3rd generation core)
3.8.0-23 (for 4th generation)

While we hope that these requirements can become broader over time the OS and kernel requirements are still quite strict. While other configurations may work, if you choose to use them we'll be very limited in how much we can help.

To install on Ubuntu 12.04.3:
* While you are welcome to use a system that is already populated, starting with a fresh OS installation can remove the possibility of interactions with already installed components.

* Before starting Media SDK installation, set up the prerequisites
(for 3rd generation core)
apt-get install linux-image-3.2.0-41-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-41-generic build-essential pkg-config libdrm-dev

(for 4th generation core)
apt-get install linux-image-3.8.0-23-generic linux-headers-3.8.0-23-generic build-essential pkg-config libpthread-stubs0-dev libpciaccess-dev
libdrm-2.4.45 is recommended. This is higher than the default in libdrm-dev, so you will need to download it separately and build it.

make sure the correct kernel version is the default loaded by Grub.
reboot.

* Install graphics drivers
$> sudo ./install_media.sh

There are 2 questions.

- For the first "do you want to use X11 backend?" just press enter (not y). Most use cases do not need X11, even when running in an X11 environment. However, if you do install X11 you can only use with an active X11 session -- so no headless operation.

- For the second "Do you want to install KMD?" press 'y'. You need the patched i915 kernel-mode driver.

Install script should indicate success.
Reboot

* Install Media SDK
Media SDK can be found in the MSDK directory.
Copy the libmfx* libraries to somewhere they can be found, such as /usr/local/lib
Make sure you have reasonable permissions to work with the DRM library with 'sudo chmod 666 /dev/dri/card0'

* Test with the prebuilt samples in samples/_bin/x64

0 Kudos