Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

ICQ+Lookahead performance with higher LA depth

MSchm21
Valued Contributor I
Is it an expected result that on Skylake using ICQ_LA bitrate mode performance goes down quite heavy by using LA depth over 40. To give you an example here is one: ICQ_LA depth 40= 280 fps ICQ_LA depth 80= 220 fps ICQ_LA depth 100= 185 fps VBR_LA bitrate mode on the other side doesn't lose performance or a very small loss, practically the same not matter if depth 40 or 100. Memory consumption increases of course. Is it expected that VBR_LA can hold its performance with high depth numbers whereas ICQ_LA is losing lots of speed? GPU and MFX load is quite low on ICQ_LA with high depth values. And my second question, does Lookahead downsampling still work in newest drivers, because off/2x/4x seems identical.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Yups,

Thank you for testing and bringing this to our attention. For (1) question, LA_ICQ/LA performance is a know issue and it is due to shared memory access b/w CPU and GPU used which is more than expected. For (2) question LA downscaling is not enabled on latest drivers. But, both these issues is expected to fixed with upcoming/later driver releases for Skylake.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Gilles_V_
Beginner

Hi,

is there any progress on this issue ? Il also have a 10 to 30% performance hit (closer to 30%..) when using regular LookAhead, whatever depth I choose.

I am using the 2017 SDK, on Skylake.

Thanks

0 Kudos