Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

IOPattern changed by MFXVideoVPP_Query

Robby_S
New Contributor I

Greetings,

I added a VPP to resize the video frames, after the decoder and before the encoder. The pipeline worked well if I set the IOPattern to SYSTEM_MEMORY and VIDEO_MEMORY. However, when I set the IOPattern to OPAQUE_MEMORY, the call to MFXVideoVPP_QueryIOSurf() always returned error -15 (MFX_ERR_INVALID_VIDEO_PARAM).

So I tried to call MFXVideoVPP_Query() before MFXVideoVPP_QueryIOSurf() so as to verify the params, and realized that params had been changed by MFXVideoVPP_Query(). 

Below is my code snippet:

// decide which memory to use
    switch(m_memType) {
        case SYSTEM_MEMORY:
            m_mfxVppParams.IOPattern = MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_SYSTEM_MEMORY | MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_SYSTEM_MEMORY;
            break;
        case VIDEO_MEMORY:
            m_mfxVppParams.IOPattern = MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_VIDEO_MEMORY | MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_VIDEO_MEMORY;
            break;
        case OPAQUE_MEMORY:
            m_mfxVppParams.IOPattern = MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_OPAQUE_MEMORY | MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_OPAQUE_MEMORY;
            break;
        default:
            msdk_printf(MSDK_STRING("  channel %u: invalid memory type !\n"), m_nChanID); 
            break;
    }
    msdk_printf(MSDK_STRING("  channel %u: vpp before query: IOPattern == 0x%0x;\n"), m_nChanID, m_mfxVppParams.IOPattern);

sts = m_pmfxVPP->Query(&m_mfxVppParams, &m_mfxVppParams);
    MSDK_CHECK_RESULT(sts, MFX_ERR_NONE, sts);

msdk_printf(MSDK_STRING("  channel %u: vpp after query: IOPattern == 0x%0x;\n"), m_nChanID, m_mfxVppParams.IOPattern);

And here is the stdout output:

channel 0: instantiating the vpp ...
  channel 0: setting up the vpp params ...
  channel 0: vpp before query: IOPattern == 0x44;
  channel 0: vpp after query: IOPattern == 0x2;

The IOPattern change was also confirmed by the MFX tracer. Before the call to m_pmfxVPP->Query(), IOPattern in the vpp params are like this:

in.IOPattern=UNKNOWN
    out.IOPattern=UNKNOWN

I don't understand why they were reported as "Unknown", as I had set them to be 
(MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_OPAQUE_MEMORY | MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_OPAQUE_MEMORY).

However, after the call, they became like below, which was obviously wrong.
    in.IOPattern=MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_SYSTEM_MEMORY
    out.IOPattern=MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_SYSTEM_MEMORY

Any ideas/suggestions as to why this happened ?

Thanks,
Robby

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robby_S
New Contributor I

It looks like a bug in MFXVideoVPP_Query (2015R6). 

In the simple_5_transcode_opaque_async_vppresize example, if I make the following change:

// Query number of required surfaces for VPP
    mfxFrameAllocRequest VPPRequest[2];     // [0] - in, [1] - out
    memset(&VPPRequest, 0, sizeof(mfxFrameAllocRequest) * 2);
    sts = mfxVPP.Query(&VPPParams, &VPPParams);  // <---- add this line
    sts = mfxVPP.QueryIOSurf(&VPPParams, VPPRequest);

The call to QueryIOSurf() will fail with MFX_ERR_INVALID_VIDEO_PARAM, because Query() has changed the IOPattern. That can be confirmed by the MFX tracer log.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Interesting... To ensure that opaque memory works on my platform at all, I tried one of the tutorials, simple_5_transcode_opaque, and got a segmentation fault.

Here is what the code output:

;============================================================================
 ./simple_transcode_opaque -hw -b 200 -f 30/1 ../content/test_stream.264
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Segmentation fault

I am also attaching the MFX tracer's log file. Could someone take a look, and tell me what was wrong?

Thanks,

Robby

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Update:

For simple_5_transcode_opaque, it looks like the segmentation fault happened near the end of the program, I added the option to generate an output file, and got this:

./simple_transcode_opaque -hw -b 200 -f 30/1 ../content/test_stream.264 tmp.h264
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Frame number: 101
Execution time: 0.08 s (1214.58 fps)
Segmentation fault

The generated output file could be played by ffplay. The new MFX tracer log file is attached.

-Robby

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Judging by the 2nd MFX tracer log file I uploaded, the segmentation fault for the tutorial code apparently happened because MFXVideoDECODE_Close() and MFXVideoENCODE_Close() somehow were called twice. 

Obviously, opaque memory does work on my platform.

So now back to my original question: Why did MFXVideoVPP_Query() change my IOPattern?

-Robby

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

It looks like a bug in MFXVideoVPP_Query (2015R6). 

In the simple_5_transcode_opaque_async_vppresize example, if I make the following change:

// Query number of required surfaces for VPP
    mfxFrameAllocRequest VPPRequest[2];     // [0] - in, [1] - out
    memset(&VPPRequest, 0, sizeof(mfxFrameAllocRequest) * 2);
    sts = mfxVPP.Query(&VPPParams, &VPPParams);  // <---- add this line
    sts = mfxVPP.QueryIOSurf(&VPPParams, VPPRequest);

The call to QueryIOSurf() will fail with MFX_ERR_INVALID_VIDEO_PARAM, because Query() has changed the IOPattern. That can be confirmed by the MFX tracer log.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Robby - Thanks for the detailed analysis, I am observing similar issue when I add the Query() function. Without the Query() function, the tutorial runs fine without any issues. Are you observing correct execution without Query and invalid params with it? - I ask because I want to ensure you are not gated on this issue and can continue. Meanwhile, I will try to understand this issue and get back to you.

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Hi Sravanthi - Thanks for confirming the issue. 

My code (multi-channel surveillance system) works with video memory and system memory, but not with opaque memory. I was hoping the the Query() function could help me debug. It's not helping here, but is unlikely the cause of my problem.

So yes I am sort of gated, but not by this specific issue with the Query() function.

-Robby

0 Kudos