Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Inconsistent 'inter_view_flag' from H.264 MVC encode

panshiyan
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to encode an H.264 MVC stream from two 1920x1080 YV12 files using the 'sample_encode.exe' provided in Media SDK 2012 p_3.0.014_GOLD (which I believe is the latest Media SDK release as of this writing). The command line I am using is:

.\\samples\\_bin\\win32\\sample_encode.exe mvc -i view_0.yuv -i view_1.yuv -o test_mvc.264 -w 1920 -h 1080 -u quality

In the encoded bitstream, the first view component (base view) of the first IDR Access Unit has 4 slices. The NAL unit containing the first slice is immediately preceded by a Prefix NAL unit (nal_unit_type equal to 14) in which the 'inter_view_flag' bit in the nal_unit_header_mvc_extension() is coded to 0. But for the NAL units containing the other 3 slices, none of them is preceded by a Prefix NAL unit.

However, according to the 'inter_view_flag' semantics specified in sec. H.7.4.1.1 of the H.264 specification:

When nal_unit_type is equal to 1 or 5 and the NAL unit is not immediately preceded by a NAL unit with nal_unit_type equal to 14, inter_view_flag shall be inferred to be equal to 1.

The value of inter_view_flag shall be the same for all VCL NAL units of a view component.

the Media SDK encoded MVC stream should be deemed as illegal because its first VCL NAL unit has 'inter_view_flag' coded to 0, while its other VCL NAL units in the same view component (base-view) all have an inferred 'inter_view_flag' of 1, which violates the clause that "The value of inter_view_flag shall be the same for all VCL NAL units of a view component".

Due to such inconsistency in 'inter_view_flag', the encoded stream failed to pass our bitstream validation tool and cannot be correctly decoded by our MVC decoder.

I know this can be worked around by letting the encoder encode only one slice per view component (this can be achieved by specifying '-u balanced' instead of '-u quality' in the sample_encode.exe cmmand line, or by assigning 1 to mfxVideoParam.mfx.NumSlice before encoder init). However, after such workaround the encoder seems unable to make use of all cores of the CPU. In my experiments on a quad-core PC, it appears only one CPU core is being used which makes the encoding process way slower (I am using the SW implementation of the SDK).

I hope Intel will be able to fix this bug in the next SDK release. Meanwhile, is there any better workaround you may suggest? Thank you.

Shiyan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Gregory_S_Intel
Employee
When target usage is set to quality, software encoder cannot encode macroblocks in parallel because it has to take care of inter-macroblock dependencies. In this mode only slice parallelization is possible and it is done when NumSlice == 0.

The sample_encode encodes MVC streams in simulcast mode. This means that views are separate and no interview dependency is used. As another workaround you could try to modify functionCEncodingPipeline::AllocAndInitMVCSeqDesc() function in pipeline_encode.cpp to specify some real interview dependencies for second view. This should also produce better quality.

Meanwhile I am going to check this problem and try to let you know when it is fixed.
0 Kudos