Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Intel Graphics for Linux @ 01.org VS. Intel Media SDK @ intel.com

yu__xueming
Beginner

Seem like parallel efforts hosted by different website. I'm curious what the difference is.

Is it true the SDK we can download from Intel Media SDK is some sort of compiled version of those on 01.org

Also, Intel Media SDK doesn't seem to support some of the processors that I'm interested in. Some discussion suggest that if I need to unlock the GPU hardware on those unsupported processors, I should go with Intel Graphics for Linux from 01.org. However, those on 01.org are very poorly documented in terms of their application. 

The specific processors I'm interested in are Pentium N3710 and Pentium N4200. I would like to use their hardware video codec

Thanks,
-Xueming

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

There are many difference between i965 from 01.org and iHD driver from MSDK,  usually MSDK is more productive.  UMD (user mode driver) is difference, even for KMD (kernel mode driver)  MSDK have special kernel patches, I think you can read the release note (

)

to compare more details.

0 Kudos
TurtleCrazy
Beginner

Jiandong Z. (Intel) wrote:

MSDK have special kernel patches,

What Kernel patches ? As far as I know the MSDK installation procedure does not require to rebuild the kernel nor to install a special one.

0 Kudos
Max_H_1
Beginner

I'm interested in this as well.

If it hasn't changed recently, Media Server Studio uses kernel patches for it's "Gold install", but the Intel Media SDK for embedded Linux and the open source version (https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK) doesn't need any kernel patch.

Any explanation of what these kernel patches does and when they are needed would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos