Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel MSS R5 vs R6 transcoding test result

Marvin_C_
Beginner

Hi Sir:

We use Artesyn PCIE-7207 to do the transcoding, the attached file is R5 vs R6 test result.

We transcode 1x 1080p stream to 1, 2, 5, or 10 x 720p, 480p, 240p stream.

The attached file is MSS R5 & R6 test result.

We are wondering why R6 CPU idle % is quite low (transcode 1080p stream to 10 x 720, 480p or 240p stream) 

Please see row 6 CPU IDLE %, Transcode 1 x 1080p stream to 10 x 720 stream, cpu idle percentage is 0.9%, quite low. (R5 test result is 46.4%)

Would you mind let me know what's the difference between Intel MSS R5 & R6, R6 support any new functions or codec?

Thanks.

Marvin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

you classification for IDLE is not obvious. column I + J = 100% ? where is IDLE% come, how is it measured?

0 Kudos
Marvin_C_
Beginner

Hi Alexey:

Sorry for late reply.

We checked the CPU usage using the linux 'top' command (see screenshot)

column I indicates the user CPU usage (which really means our application's cpu usage), and column J is the IDLE cpu column from the top,

so, in our testing, we see very little userland CPU usage (which make sense) ,but sy / ni / wa account for a lot of CPU

so technically, we split the CPU usage in 3 parts (userland, IDLE, and the rest)

Thanks.

Marvin

0 Kudos
Marvin_C_
Beginner

Hi Alexey:

Would you mind check it and advise it, may i know what's the difference between MSS R5 and R6?

Thanks for your help.

Marvin

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Marvin, there is one significant change in scheduling in between R5 and R6. In R5 Media SDK used sleep() pooling scheme for surface readiness check. starting R6 Media SDK uses blocking sys call to eliminate pooling and sleeps which negatively impacted latency and performance. In fact iowait is idle state too and these clocks are used by CPU for other tasks.

“iowait is time that the processor/processors are waiting (i.e. is in an idle state and does nothing), during which there in fact was outstanding disk I/O requests.”

0 Kudos