Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel® Media SDK 2013 R3 for Linux* Servers now available for download

Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

New in R3:

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors:
    • H.264 Encoder supports  interlaced streams.
    • H.264 Encoder supports multiple reference frames and Per-Macroblock Bitrate Control (MBBRC)
    • H.264 Encoder supports Dynamic Resolution Change (Video Conferencing feature)
    • Look Ahead Bitrate Control Mode for H.264 Encoder (both progressive and interlaced streams)
    • H.264 encoder, decoder and VPP filters support resolution up to 4096x2304
    • MPEG-2 encoder supports Simple, Main and High profiles with resolution up to 1920x1088
    • Composition (N:1) Video Pre-Processing filter
  • 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors:
    • Software Fallback is enabled for majority of new features
  • Advanced De-Interlacing (ADI) added as default de-interlacing filter. API control provided to switch between ADI (best quality) and BOB DI (best performance).
  • General Plug-in API added (more details in mediasdkusr-man.pdf document).
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MSaue
Beginner

Can you please explain how we can switch between ADI and BOB deinterlacing filters?

I see it mentioned in the release notes, but I did not find any documentation on how to do it in the enclosed manual.

Thanks,

Mark Sauer

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

We're working on updates to the documentation, where we hope to have a much better description.  Hopefully the following is enough to get you started.

Basic idea: several VPP filters use extended buffers for parameters (see mfxstructures.h).   Deinterlace mode could be set up like this:

// Initialize extended buffer for frame processing
    // - mfxExtVPPDeinterlacing: Deinterlacing configuration
    // - mfxExtBuffer:     Add extended buffers to VPP parameter configuration

mfxExtVPPDeinterlacing deintConfig;
    memset(&deintConfig, 0, sizeof(deintConfig));
    deintConfig.Header.BufferId = MFX_EXTBUFF_VPP_DEINTERLACING;
    deintConfig.Header.BufferSz = sizeof(mfxExtVPPDeinterlacing);
    deintConfig.Mode = MFX_DEINTERLACING_BOB;        

mfxExtBuffer *ExtBuffer[1];
    ExtBuffer[0] = (mfxExtBuffer *) &deintConfig;
    VPPParams.NumExtParam = 1;
    VPPParams.ExtParam = (mfxExtBuffer **) &ExtBuffer[0];

(before initializing VPP with VPPParams)

0 Kudos
bbright
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any plan to support AVC 10-bit encoding/decoding in future releases ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The fixed function hardware Media SDK is built to use is 8-bit only, so 10 bit support cannot be easily added to the driver or Media SDK hardware implementations for Linux or Windows. However, with the recent improvements to plugin architecture it may be possible to use a 10-bit software AVC implementation as an external plugin.  

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

FYI: The installation procedure in the release notes has been updated.

In previous releases Media SDK for Linux Servers required separate compilation of libdrm >= 2.4.45.  Now a customized libdrm is part of Media SDK installation and any other versions of libdrm on your system must be removed first.  The install procedure has been updated in the release notes which can be downloaded from registrationcenter.intel.com.  A summary of the new install steps is below:

1. Double check hardware, OS, and kernel level

2. Remove any versions of libdrm currently on the system

$ sudo find /usr –name 'libdrm*' (check files to remove)
    $ sudo find /usr –name 'libdrm*' -exec rm –rf {} \;

3. Run the install script

$ sudo ./install_media.sh

0 Kudos
tycosp
Beginner

Hi.  Tried to install on SUSE 11 SP3.  Not having success.  lsmod does not find  i915.ko.

The instructions say to rebuild the kernel using the provided kmd/sources.  Those do have make files but no documentation on how to build them (what targets) nor how to install them.

Has anyone gone down this path? 

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

While I don't want to get in the way of any other feedback on the module build process, we have looked at this internally and are currently considering how to revise the procedure to make it easier and suitable for a wider range of scenarios.

In the meantime, an alternative to building your own i915 module is to work with a newer kernel.  Updates from Intel go into the kernel tip and are backported to the Ubuntu and SLES distributions.  The patches are for the changes which have not been backported yet.  The closer you are to the tip the more likely you are to have the full set of updates in the default i915 driver.  The main drawback to working with an advanced kernel is that any issues reported will need to be reproducible with the supported configurations described in the release notes, but in reality this is the same as working with a patched i915 driver as well.

In this case, changes are already underway to add support for all the devices covered by Ubuntu to the SLES version so there may be no long term need to build your own i915. 

0 Kudos
zhou_h_
Beginner

The Intel® Media SDK 2013 for Servers need license now. I want to buy the license, but there are some questions.

you can reply to zhscnd@163.com, thanks.

What is the license type? How many machines can install the software using the SDK to compile? 
Can I take the SDK on trial? We need to evaluate the performance and other factors. 
Can improve the performance if we use multiple CPU? What needs to be done to set it?

0 Kudos
MSaue
Beginner

I am testing the latest release.  I noticed that the default deinterlacing algorithm seems to use a lot more "GPU" power than the old default (from 2013R1)

Was the old deinterlacer the same as MFX_DEINTERLACING_BOB? 

Do you guys have any documentation of how the two deinterlacer options work? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos