Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Intel Media SDK AAC Encoder - trying 5.1 (6 channels) Audio.

dashut
Beginner
I've downloaded the Media SDK 2.0.12.24071 and I'm teting the "Intel Media SDK AAC Encoder" in GraphEdit.

When I put a source of:
PCMAudio 44.1 Khz 16 bit 2 channels (stereo)
and connect this to the Encoder: everything works! I can then take the output of the Encoder, connect it to the AAC Decoder and then to the Audio Renderer (Default DirectSound Device) and I hear the audio perfectly.

However, when I connect a source of:
PCMAudio 44.1 Khz 16 bit6 channels (5.1)
and try to connect this to the Encoder it fails! The only thing changed here from the previous test was that I have 6 channels and not 2.

I checked and verified that AAC standard supports 5.1 (6 channels), but somehow I can't make the AAC Encoder connect to such a source.

For the H264 Encoder there's open source that I can look at (DirectShow/GraphEdit), however, for the AAC Encoder/Decoder filters there's no source code: so I don't know why it's not working.

Any help is greatly appreciated here,
Dashut.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Dashut,

The sample Direct Show filters are provided to assist in development of applications using the Media SDK video capabilities. They and are not intended to be full-featured or used in a production environment. The audio encoder sample filter does not support creation of 5.1 audio content.

-Tony

0 Kudos
andrasjpeg
Beginner
Hi, I came across this post while looking for AAC encoder libs. I'm looking at the current Intel Media SDK 2012, and it doesn't seem to have any support for audio.. Am I missing something? What can I use to compress simple 2ch PCM audio to AAC?

Thanks,

-Andras
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Andras,

You are right, Media SDK 2012 is targeted for video processing, the library itself doesn't have any support for audio codecs. But samples package contains several DirectShow audio decoder and encoder filters in binary form which are provided for testing/demo puposes (not for redistribution and not as sample code).

You can explore AAC encoder filter (samples\_bin\\imc_aac_enc_ds.dll) functionality, it may suite your needs.

Regards,
Nina

0 Kudos