Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel Media SDK Linux Compatibility

MSaue
Beginner

I am trying to run my linux media sdk application on a "Ivybridge" cpu, specifically the xeon E3-1245V2.  We are using the intel S1200KPR server motherboard. 

Basically my question is, do you see any incompatibilities with this setup?  Our application works great on the haswell i7-4770s, on a desktop board. 

On the E3-1245V2, what happens is that I can run one instance of the application.  But when I try to run a second (or more) instances, I start seeing errors in the dmesg that say:

[   34.886936] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
[   34.887659] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
[   42.888055] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung

The hangcheck error is repeated over and over. 

I am running in ubuntu 12.04 with the recommended 3.8.0-23-generic kernel.

If the i915_error_state file would be helpful, I can post it.  It is very large..

Thanks,

Mark Sauer

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Mark,

While we hope to expand official coverage of Xeon processors, for now the requirements as listed in the release notes are very specific.  The main focus is on enabling large scale deployment using OEM systems with the E3-1285v3 processor and C226 chipset. (See the expanding list here.)  While building your own Xeon systems is definitely possible and some configurations outside those listed in the release notes will work, for today's releases the list of supported Xeon configurations is short.   The downside to unsupported configurations is that any issues found there need to be replicable on supported configurations.

That said, being able to run one instance is very encouraging that you will be able to get this system to work.  The first place to start is the kernel.  V2/Ivybridge needs 3.2.0-41 in Ubuntu.  You can also try deleting all libdrm files before reinstallation, as Media SDK now uses a patched libdrm and multiple versions can cause conflicts like this.  Another trick is to try running multiple instances as root.

In general, there should be no problems with developing on a Core system and deploying on Xeon.  Code should work with no changes and binaries should work across Xeon and Core with no recompilation.  However, there are many capabilities which are only hardware accelerated for Haswell which fall back to software on Ivybridge.

Best regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
MSaue
Beginner

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions.  I will try them out, and see if I can get this going.

0 Kudos