Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel Media SDK Live 4K HEVC 50 fps

Serhat_d_
Beginner

Is there any configuration to get Live 4K HEVC 50 fps on Skylake because we could not reach 50 fps. We tested and reached only 30 fps. I shall be most grateful for any help in this matter.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Serhat!

Which mode do you use: HW, SW or GACC?

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
Ali_K_1
Beginner

Hi Anna,

We tried with HW. Apart from using the direct tools in Media SDK, there is also now Intel QSV integration over Intel Media SDK in FFmpeg open source project. We tried that either and couldnt achieve 50 fps in HEVC 4K resolution.

We will be glad if you can share your ideas how to achieve this target on Skylake.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
AaronL
Beginner

It may not be possible to do this on Skylake with HW HEVC encoding.  In my software, the best I can currently do is 3840x2160p24 (this is technically UltraHD, not 4K), but I think I can get up to 30 fps with some changes to my software.  And this is on fastest encoding quality.  I've found that balanced encoding quality is generally too slow for anything above 1080p30 if you want real-time encoding.

It is highly doubtful that the hardware and underlying software and driver can keep up with any faster frame rates in real-time.  I've used Concurrency Visualizer to see what is going on, and when encoding at a quality level and/or frame rate that Skylake HEVC can't handle, you can see the impact of this on one of the Media SDK threads, and the thread quickly gets bogged down by I/O operations, I/O operations that take longer than the time gap between video frames.  This may be caused by a limitation of the hardware, but it also may be caused by software inefficiencies.

Things that might help:

• Improved graphics driver (maybe, and this is something that depends on Intel)
  • Using a Skylake processor with a higher end version of Intel graphics components, perhaps one that is faster, has more video memory, and has more processing units
  • Building a 64-bit executable instead of a 32-bit executable
  • More and faster system memory
  • Use video memory instead of system memory

AaronL

0 Kudos