Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Intel Media SDK use hw and vpp to convert rgb to yuv420 quality bad

X_T_1
Beginner

Use the sdk tool:

sample_vpp.exe -lib hw -sw 100 -sh 100 -scc rgb4 -dw 100 -dh 100 -dcc nv12 -d3d -i input.rgb32 -o output_hw.yuv

sample_vpp.exe -lib sw -sw 100 -sh 100 -scc rgb4 -dw 100 -dh 100 -dcc nv12 -d3d -i input.rgb32 -o output_sw.yuv

Compare hardware and software to use vpp to convert rgb to yuv420, the hw yuv420 quality is worse than sw. 

The hw seem yuv420 sample the four pixel in the upper left corner, and SW sample the pixel average.

How to adjust the HW parameters to the same effect as SW?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi X.T.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/657754

I am also facing quite similar issue from last year due to difference in HW & SW implementation of vpp. I am still awaiting for a solution of this. Hope we may get it now.

0 Kudos
X_T_1
Beginner

Hi Ramashankar

It's the same problem with you. Hope intel fix this probelm now.

Best Regards
Tony

0 Kudos