Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Intel Media SDK within a locked desktop (session 0)

OTorg
New Contributor III
When we will have access to the GPU decoding/encoding within a locked desktop (from session 0) after all? This will increase the performance of server/terminal applications dramatically. And, therefore, determined the choice of the "right" hardware manufacturer. As far as I know, to date, only nvidia tesla provides such opportunities.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Thanks for clarifying, I completely understand what it is you are after now.

Unfortunately, as you also point out, we cannot use Media SDK with HW acceleration in a Windows service due to OS restrictions. This is a well known limitation that we do not have control over. We may explore alternative approaches in future releases of the SDK but for now there is nothing we can do.

This subject was also discussed in earlier forum thread, including reference to external forum thread where potential workarounds are discussed.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=84258&o=a&s=lr

Regards,
Petter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi dj_alek,

Can you expand a bit more on your issue. What do you mean by locked desktop? Are you referring to machine that does not have a display attached?

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
OTorg
New Contributor III
I mean access to the hardware decoding/encoding/resizing/etc (GPU, not CPU). DirectX layer is used for this purpose.
Hardware DX isn't available at session 0 (services sandbox). Microsoft says: for security reasons - onlyinteractive user (who sees the desktop on a locally mounted display) can access hardware DX. So, need to create separate process on behalf of the interactive user. Furthermore, local desktop must never be locked (via Win+L, for example).
Thus, we have the serious complexity of implementation (and absence of hardwarefor some times) withusers switching, serverappliances, etc.What kind of "increased security"in question, when we make a server with never locked desktop?To which sticker "in any case, do not block the desktop!!!"is attached:)
In my opinion, allowing access to hardware from session 0 is disadvantageous to operating systems manufacturers, but is profitable for GPU manufacturers.Not a bad decision: to add a driver of some "calculation device" (with separate access control settings, not restricted to interactive user only), in addition to videocard driver, imho.
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Thanks for clarifying, I completely understand what it is you are after now.

Unfortunately, as you also point out, we cannot use Media SDK with HW acceleration in a Windows service due to OS restrictions. This is a well known limitation that we do not have control over. We may explore alternative approaches in future releases of the SDK but for now there is nothing we can do.

This subject was also discussed in earlier forum thread, including reference to external forum thread where potential workarounds are discussed.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=84258&o=a&s=lr

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
OTorg
New Contributor III
I'll be glad to see it in future versions.
0 Kudos